Please HELP. Stability Criteria for an LCT/Self Propelled Barge

Discussion in 'Stability' started by ORPHEN, Oct 6, 2011.

1. ORPHEN

ORPHEN Junior Member

I'm doing a stability calculation for an LCT and I found out that the stability criteria for an LCT is different for a Cargo or a Passenger which I usually do. I had already read the Resolution MSC.267(85)Chapter 2, 2.2 and it appears applicable for a non-propelled barge.Can someone help me please where to find a stability criteria for an LCT/Self Propelled Barge or does the stability criteria of a pontoon barge can be applied which in fact it is being stated in there for a non-propelled? I would be pleased if you will share some links for me to read and study. Thank you!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  2. Vinassman

Vinassman Junior Member

Hi Orphen,

I always fail to understand what is a "self-propelled barge". I mean that it should be consider like cargo ship and that's all... For me:

- a barge has no mean of propulsion
    - a vessel has a mean of propulsion.

Therefore, you should apply the stability criteria for a cargo ship. But it's my opinion, I am not sure and if anyone would like to confirm, it would be great :).

VM

3. ORPHEN

ORPHEN Junior Member

Actually its a land craft carrier (LCT) I just considered it as self propelled barge because of its trapezoidal shape.:)

4. Vinassman

Vinassman Junior Member

Orphen,

Yeah I understand. I am working in a shipyard design office where our main product is self-propelled barge, among others.

So I understand why you consider it a self-propelled barge because we do the same here.

However, I don't know if you share my opinion, but for me a self-propelled barge doesn't mean anything.

If you are propelled, you fall under the SOLAS and therefore you have to meet its stability requirement (for cargo ship unless if you carry a certain number of passengers).

Therefore, I would suggest you to read the intact stability code (IS code) and apply the criterion.

Hope it will help :).

VM

P.S: I see you're located in Phillipines, where are you exactly? Where are you working? You can answer by PM, to avoid getting outside of the track

5. ORPHEN

ORPHEN Junior Member

I see.. Thank you for that information Vinassman. I realized that I had just neglected some important information from IMO codes :).

6. MBM

MBM Junior Member

Orphen -

We have undertake nmany projects of this nature for many clients from Australia, Asia, Africa and Europe.
    You are wise to get some professional assitance on your Landing craft as this vessel requires special rules for stabiltiy, motions and usage for cargo.
    We can provide support for your techncial requirements and cargo loading analysis as well.

Look forward to talking with you regarding this vessel,
    mark@mbm-consultancy.com

7. Vinassman

Vinassman Junior Member

Dear MBM,

Is there any special codes for LCT? I guess since the main usage of these vessels is for navy, you have to follow special rules as well, isn't it?

By the way, MBM website has some troubles on my computer, many pages cannot be opened... :(

Cheers,
    VM

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.