Canvas Row Boat

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by doghouse0000000, Jul 31, 2007.

1. doghouse0000000

doghouse0000000 New Member

hello there..new to this forum. I recently aquired an old row boat that has a wooden frame and stretched canvas covering it. The canvas has been painted and the paint is starting to flake off. I am wondering what the best way to remove this paint would be without damaging the canvas and also what the best paint would be to recoat it. Any thoughts would be appreciated

Attached Files:

2. Flumixt

Flumixt Junior Member

Dunno about removing the old paint but I grew up with (lived in) canvas covered canoes. To seal the canvas we applied orange shellac prior to painting. That may be old fashioned anymore but its a first clue for you how to proceed. Seal it with something.

A one-part poly urethane might be a good choice for this.

You have to be careful of your canvas. On backcountry trips we carried extra canvas, shellac, needle and thread for quick repairs. Today I'd spose Duct Tape would be better/easier - didn't have it then or anything like it.

We didn't beach the canoes either but loaded and unloaded in the water to preserve the canvas then lifted em ashore turning em over so the canvas didn't get damaged.

3. Flumixt

Flumixt Junior Member

>>A one-part poly urethane might be a good choice for this.<<

As a top coat not a sealer.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.