Looking for information about project boat.

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by BMH, Sep 12, 2006.

1. BMH

BMH Junior Member

Trying to identify design/designer of project boat.

I was over at a friend's when I spotted this boat behind his shed. I loved the lines of her and asked him to let me know if he ever wanted to get rid of her. His response was "It's yours." Now the fun begins.

I am starting to do the research and not having much luck identifying the design and possible designer. Anyone have any ideas?

The boat built in the 1920's and is in ruff shape. The upper decks are punky and the keel supports have rotted out though the upper hull planks appear OK. I will find out how extensive the damage is when I start restoring her. I will be patterning all the parts and putting her lines into CAD drawings. Maybe build a copy later.

Will be looking to these forums for advice as I go and glad to have found them.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
  2. yotphix

yotphix Junior Member

Wow! She is beautiful isn't she! I can't be any help to you with the provenance of the vessel but I am curious; is there any evidence of the vessel ever having been in the water? I can't tell from the pics if the presumably transom hung rudder was ever mounted(ie. no gudgeon mounting holes.) What do you suppose the intended rig looked like? Fascinating project. I look forward to updates.

3. BMH

BMH Junior Member

As far as I know she was sailed in Parry Sound since 1924 originally coming from the Oakville Ontario area. It’s history previous to that I am uncertain about but am looking into it and will post what I find out. It was pulled from the water about 23 years ago.

The rudder is mounted on the back of the keel. I have attached a picture of it. The boat was originally gaff rigged then converted to a marconi rig. I have a drawing of the last rig and will attach.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2006
  4. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Gorgeous ! Front end reminds me of Rozinante (Hershoff) Aft end is like an inland lakes scow, wide, fairly flat, low freeboard. Sort of an elegant Laser. I would expect that thing to be delightfully quick. By the looks of the pix, it seems that you could make a career of restoring her. It might very well be worth it. Keep us in the loop.

5. gggGuest

gggGuest ...

It could be a very pretty boat, but I do hope you have some very serious money, because that looks like a "cost more than a new boat" restoration to me...

6. BMH

BMH Junior Member

I am trying to figure out when it no longer is a restoration and become a replication. Oh well, I am looking at this as a long term (5-6 years) project. My main goal is to preserve the lines, it looks to good to let die. The previous owner says she is an excellent boat, fast and very stable.

7. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

I would say it becomes a replication when you use all new parts. Most likely you will use at least the keel casting and maybe a few topside planks at worse. At best, you will be able to salvage all or most of the hull planking and replace everything else. This is good becaues the hull planking was most likely old growth stuff. Very hard to replace.

You can use new wood technology to build the new backbone, frames, deadwood, and deck. Then standard carvel planking for the rest. The reborn boat should last at least as long as the original. Maybe much longer.

WoodenBoat had a long series of articles on restoring boats such as this, earlier this year. They were written by a man who does this sort of thing for a living.

I once had a boat similer to that. I was young, working for minimum wage, and totally ignorant about how to go about this. The boat, unfortunately, ended up being cut up fro scrap.

Still saddens me to think about it.

Bob

8. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

She's just about spent. Just from the photos, I can see lots of distortion in the ends of the boat, the frames have relaxed a bit and major issues are everywhere. Her restoration would be quite expensive, well over the cost of building a sister ship new, based on the old lines. Unless she has an exceptional pedigree or some sentimental value to you, which would warrant an extensive rebuilding, this unfortunately may be a lost cause. The cradle she's on doesn't offer a lot of support, which has permitted the hull to distort in every direction. Even in the water, she'd suffer from this type of distortion, but at a slower rate then in that cradle. There are hundreds of plans available for these old universal warriors. You may be well advised to build a new version of the old girl then try to bring that tired old sloop back to life.

Making duplicates of distorted parts will generate a distorted boat. You need to return her shape, which is a slow, drawn out battle with gravity and then you can start looking at part replication. Most amateur builders haven't the tools, equipment or knowledge to twist and bend a boat back into shape. Frankly, old wooden boats do not tolerate neglect in the weather for very long. A client left a 50 year old Chris Craft in my yard 3 years ago, with the hope of doing something to her. He paid for storage in the open, though I did keep a tarp over her and a box fan running inside. After two years, she had degraded a little but was a worthy project. He moved to Sarasota last year and took the Chris with him. The Chris is back (last week) and after only a year of intermittent tarp use and no ventilation (in Sarasota), she's now being discussed as a cut her up for equipment boat. She'd been rewired, had new instrumentation, seating, some rechromed fittings, original 283 and trans and really, this is all she's worth now, plus the nice aluminum tandem she sits on. A year ago, she was able to be saved, with minor work. Now, she needs, new bottom planks, stem, gripe, keel repairs, sheer strake, rubs, clamp, transom framing, new deck and some beams, etc., etc., etc. The list is extensive.

How long has that old girl been sitting without care?

1 person likes this.
  9. hartley

hartley Junior Member

project boat

BMH .....I'm afraid that boat will break your heart ,not to mention your bank balance .let her rest in peace ......cheers

10. BMH

BMH Junior Member

I have been told she hasn't sailed for 20 some years. She was covered until last winter/spring until the tarps fell apart. I am expecting to start by replacing the keel and work my way up. As I take the boat apart I will do CAD drawings and fair out what needs to be to compensate for the distortion. Will put a couple of stands under her to help support.

11. PAR

If you could ID her and get the lines from the designer, his estate, etc. you may be able to return her to something close to the original shape. Without lines, which lofted station molds and patterns can be made from, you'd have a very difficult time, guessing where things are supposed to be with or without CAD. Accurate CAD renderings of distorted pieces serves little.

12. BMH

BMH Junior Member

13. BMH

BMH Junior Member

14. PAR

I also restore for a living, drop me an email and maybe we can find a solution for the old gal, she's a beauty, but I have a soft spot for universals.

15. l_boyle

l_boyle ol' can of sardines

Think very for a moment, are you married? with children? if answer is no to both question, no problems.. You can spend your lifetime restoring that beauty. Good Luck

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.