Canting Keel Design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Marvic, May 10, 2009.

1. Marvic

Marvic Junior Member

Hi All,

Am currently undertaking some calculations for a Mini transit canting keel. I think there was an articule in Seahorse a year or two back on canting keel calculations, does anyone have that articule or any information like this?

2. Ilan Voyager

Ilan Voyager Senior Member

Very delicate design. Definitely out of reach of an amateur who will have as only source a magazine article!
    It's a major structural design with delicate mechanical devices and needs a first class fabrication...if you want to keep it light on a race boat. A fortiori on a small ultra light race boat.
    A lot of accidents involving canting keels have resulted in many deaths; visibly not all is known about canting keels design specially the quantification of the stresses.
    Have you the means of dynamic structural calculations? Even on a Mini Transat I wouldn't adventure lightly in that.
    Another and better possibility is to buy a proven design (by proven I mean: several made, at least 2 years old and no failure, or even another mechanics problems) to a NA or NE.

3. Velsia

Velsia Floater

Basic engineering principles should cover the stresses on the pin/canting lines frame attachments, ect. Its the unknown dynamic stresses such due to the sea and/or human error which are the hard ones. If you do find any articles let me know

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.