Canters tacking

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by usa2, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Andy P

Andy P Junior Member

In dinghies, gybing boards are used by some classes. ( ie foils that rotate in vertical plane, so not aligned to hull fore and aft line )
    These are most popular in hulls that are rounded bow section eg 5o5, and are not used very often in the classes with more pointed bows - like most development classes / skiffs with straight stems

As gggg says, the pointy bow hulls obtain much more side force from the hull shape. So it may be more efficient for the roundy hull designs to align the hull with the leeway angle ( by 'gybing' the board a few degrees ), and reduce hull drag.

2. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Yep, people have been using gybing boards for a long time, like the 5-Ohs. I had one on my old I14. I agree that you can try to align the hull with the direction of travel to eliminate some drag. But it does not make sense to try to over-rotate so as to have the bow pointing below the line of travel.

3. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Like wow.

Are sails symmetrical foils?

Hmmm...you have a strange way of stating things...

I would think that downhill you wouldn't want ANY lift (aka Drag) from the keel.

Like wow.

Like wow. Ever hear of the One Tonner Terrorist from 1974?

Let's have Lord "research" it. I'm sure he can read a couple of magazine articles and report back "facts".

Thanks for keeping it simple for us.

4. ned

ned Junior Member

wintch cainters are slow to tack but hudrulic cainters arnt

5. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

On the gybing board issue, it's all about whether the boat will do better with no leeway on the hull. There has to be leeway at the board to generate lift. So a gybing board would seem to be most worth while for a hull that generates significantly more drag with leeway. I would expect this to be more apparent on hard chine hulls and less apparent on rounded hulls. A rounded hull that has so much leeway that it needs a gybing board would probably benefit more from a bigger board or one with a better profile.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.