cant make my mind

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by kaor, Dec 8, 2010.

1. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

With all those charter boats, Croatia must be full of used boat stuff. Last week in the town Im presently at a small boatyard winter storage parking lot caught fire....ten boats destroyed... Anchors, windlass's, chains, winches, stainless steel, rigging, engines, props and shaft all thrown in the garbage. Keep your eye open in croatia for broken boats to scavenge. Good stuff.

2. kaor

kaor Junior Member

Well you probably right. When I asked Vivier about k22 boat, estimated cost of materials + engine- he said 35k euros in France, thats a lot for 6.5 boat.

3. michael pierzga

I dont really know how much a boat costs. Your bill of materials from Gartside should give a good idea about hull construction material costs.
    If I was to build a boat locally a major cost would be a building shed with light and electricity ... a 30 by 20 build space is very expensive to rent here on the coast.

Wood ? good planking stock is proably 6 euro per board foot. I recently bought a sheet of marine ply 70 euros. Bronze fastenings ? ??? If you have a good carpentry shop nearby who can machine your timber cheap and supply the correct dimensional stock, you can save much time and money.
    About the only expensive tool you NEED to build a boat is a bandsaw...add hand tools a good work bench and a good work shed and off you go.

4. kaor

kaor Junior Member

bandsaw I can borrow form a best friend, space i have, its 60 m2 and should be enough . I would probably arrange with some local mill or something to make me strips. Ill try to get maybe a small bit of Speed Strip or bead and cove strip to make me some.

5. michael pierzga

6. michael pierzga

7. apex1

apex1 Guest

Get the resin from Germany: http://www.shop.r-g.de/

Robinia (black locust) is easily to get in very good quality in Croatia. But you should use it for frames and the like, not for planking. Larch (even Russian imports) can be a valid alternative for planking, but has to be good and knots free quality.

The Gartside boat is beautiful, no doubt, but a real task for a complete novice. Take care not to overestimate your skills and underestimate the time and cost! Calculate at least twice the time the designer mentiones, and be aware that the boat will cost far more than you might expect. The estimation of the French guy sounds about right, but is possibly still on the lower side
    Don´t let the self proclaimed "experts", like our "Yacht Captain" talk you into a expensive adventure! Remember it is your money you will loose if things go wrong, not his! And this guy definetively knows dead nothing about boatbuilding.

In your case I would start building a small dinghy to get a handle on the choosen method, then decide if that is what you want.

Regards
    Richard

8. kaor

kaor Junior Member

apex, I understand what you thinking, but is it impossible. I dont have any boat building experience but as a sculptor I been working with wood. Building small dinghy would be good experience but also waste of money ( and Im short whit it ). I know is extremely hard to build a boat even 6 m long, but I saw bigger boats build by amateurs.

9. bulk-head

bulk-head Junior Member

Gartside 26 footer being built over on Woodenboat forum

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?111974-Gartside-26ft-cutter-116a

10. kaor

kaor Junior Member

Yea, I saw that one. Its a lot of work, lots of time..but question I really want a answer for ( for people here which already build ta boat) - " Is it worth it, all in the end? "

11. bulk-head

bulk-head Junior Member

Pride...plus When you build a boat, you use your labor...your labor is free.

Even a 26 footer is a huge project. Important that you have the time...and the money ,for this huge project.

Boats are not complicated..only work. Projects like Setting up the backbone would be a superhuman effort for a single hander. Best to budget a skilled labourer for the first 3 months of construction to help you get the heavy work done.

After the heavy work...boats are only a bunch of pieces screwed and glue together. But be assured..it takes time.

12. kaor

kaor Junior Member

Well I want to build 20 footer, and I know its huge project. Hmm money is always a problem, but I dont need to have it all right away, my plan was first get lumber, cut it , shape it and then go to assemble

13. apex1

apex1 Guest

Not to offend you, but you have more than one problem.

As a sculptor you have the wrong way to address wood! Carpenters and sculptors are the most awful boatbuilders!

Not that I don´t like their way to come out with results, I just don´t have the four hundred years time to see the proper, and seaworthy result.

A boatbuilder, or shipwright is as far from a carpenter, as a concrete worker! Further from a sculptor.
    I employed carpenters and skilled sculptors some 25 years ago, a nightmare.

Boatbuilding is not cabinet making, although it is part of it. But feeling the boat in its element is part of the art, a landlocked craftsman does not have developed that.

If you don´t have the money (pennies) for building a decent tender boat, you will never have the money to build a boat you dream about.

Building a boat yourself, has at least to do with saving money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you do not know, or accept that, welcome to the immature, dreamers part of the board!

Regards
    Richard

14. Pierre R

Pierre R Senior Member

I always wanna slap people into reality who suggest that my or any other amateurs labor is free.

15. apex1

apex1 Guest

A uneducated Turk (they are all uneducated) costs me a mere 400 TL a month. Thats less than 200 €. It takes me ten years to tell him to walk upright and do not **** on his hands while eating.
    ten by twelve by 200 is= 24000

For 24k € a skilled Dutch or German labourer gets me five times the material processed! Today!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.