cant find it

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by longliner45, May 21, 2007.

1. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

has anyone heard or seen pics of the dinosuar or sea monster that the indonisian fisherman caught and kept in captivity for 17 before it died ,,,,,sopposed to be 165 million years old ,,,?I checked with all the posh and political news sources,,but only paul harvey reports,,,good day,,longliner

2. longliner45

anyone seen this?

indonisian fisherman capture a dinosuar that is 165 million years old,and keep it alive for 17 hrs ,,,,I cant find anything on it ,,but it was reported on Paul Harvey today,,longliner

3. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

4. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Saw something in the paper (Greensburg, PA) about it this morning. Brief & not to specific though. Said that area has one of the most diverse marine enviroments in the world.

Tim

5. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Checked Sam's link (thanks).

Said they go approx. 5ft & 100lbs. Strong limb like fins, live below 200ft, predatory, and giving birth to live young are some major characteristics.

Wonder if he will get it mounted and on the wall :) Yeah right!

Have a good one LL.

Tim

6. longliner45

thanks sam and tim ,,while were at it ,inabout 1980 ,did you here of the frozen dino the japanees fisherman caught in thier net ,,apparantly came from a glasier? it stunk so bad that they thew it back into the sea,,imagine the payday if they cept it,was more reptilian though,longliner

7. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

In the vaguest recesses of my mind. The throwing it back part rings a bell.

Tim

8. longliner45

sorry got 2 more post about this ,,something wasnt working before,longliner

9. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

How do they know its 165 million years old,--can it talk?

Must have been a small one!!

10. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Can't find it

Maybe it was one of these - the work of Juan Cabana who manufactures and sells fake mummified mermaids. He might have branched out into dinosaurs....

Attached Files:

11. charmc

charmc Senior Member

This is it, I think.

"Figure 171: Probably Not a Plesiosaur. This 32-foot-long “monster,” caught by a Japanese fishing ship off the coast of New Zealand in 1977, was unfortunately thrown overboard shortly after this picture was taken. The animal made front-page news for weeks in Japan. Several Japanese scientists felt that it was a plesiosaur, and a Japanese postage stamp seemed to commemorate the discovery of the first modern plesiosaur. In the 1995 edition of this book, this animal was incorrectly labeled as a “possible plesiosaur.” Later, after reading English translations of opinions of other Japanese scientists and seeing similar pictures of decaying basking sharks, it seems more likely that this was a large basking shark.4 Decay patterns near the shark’s head give the appearance of a neck. "

Attached Files:

12. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Jack it makes me laugh ha ha ha, see, when geeks make these claims that they know how old something is.

Carbon date a drawing on a cave and they can tell you how many millions of years ago it was painted. Yeah right.

Using the same technology I should be able to paint something on a wall wait a week and they should be able to tell me to the second, when I painted it.

They've made a model of a dinasour, all they have found is the bones, dinasours could have been covered in feathers, fur, scales and in fact look nothing like the models created by these geniuses.

I like this one. An atomic clock is accurate to one second in a million years.

Who's going to check it?

I've decided to put my Rolex in a time capsual to be opened in a million years time. I've also left instructions for them to carbon date my watch when they dig it up which should indicate what year the battery went flat so they can estimate what time it should be if the watch was still going.

If that bloody atomic clock is wrong somebody should be sued.

Poida

It's bed time.

13. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Dont put your Rolex watch in a time capsule.

Use a Rolex copy they are much much more accurate, I am very serious.

14. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Can't find it

Nite Poida....Don't forget to set your alarm...:)

15. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Afraid it's not accurate to the second, Poida. Carbon dating works by measuring the relative proportions of certain isotopes of carbon (usually 12 and 14)- some stable, some slightly unstable with a known half-life. (In the case of carbon dating, 14-C undergoes beta decay to 14-N with a halflife of 5730 years). In organic tissue the isotopes always occur in a particular ratio; once that tissue is no longer alive, one isotope decays while the other remains stable. Measuring the ratio is the hard part; the math is simple after that. With a halflife of 5730 years, carbon-dating can with good equipment find the right century, but the resolution is nowhere near one year, let alone a second. It works best when you're near that half-life of 5730 years, accuracy drops off as you go to longer times. And it only works on organic matter. (There are other techniques based on radioactive heavy metals that work on inorganic materials, but most work on the scale of tens or hundreds of millions of years.)