Canoe stern side exit prop shaft.

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by johnthemiller2, Jan 15, 2010.

1. johnthemiller2

johnthemiller2 New Member

I have a 22 ft Canoe ended river boat from 1910. In about the 1930's someone powered it with an Austin 7 engine. Due to the Canoe stern this required a side exit for the prop shaft. This engine is long gone and someone has cut a big hole in the bottom and stuck an outboard through it. I would like to look into re powering from an inboard but I can't find any books to learn about this side exit type of drive and the requirements. Can anyone point me to information, on design and placement. Maybe my search engine criteria is just using the wrong terminology.

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

Welcome John,

Atkin did some of his boats with a similar arrangement.

http://www.atkinboatplans.com/

Just a hint but I hope it helps.

Regards
    Richard

3. johnthemiller2

Thanks.

Thanks the Aitkins website has a few examples.
    I was looking more for information about how the set up is constructed and balanced to keep the boat straight as it is one sided as it were. I understand that at the correct revs the sideways thrust should be offset by the prop rotational drag and therefore the boat goes straight. However I would like to understand more.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Herreshoff recomended side propellers. The common sense of yacht design has examples.

5. johnthemiller2

common sense of yacht design

Thanks,
    not wishing to sound ungrateful the 120 dollar price tag is a bit beyond what I wanted to spend but maybe I have to get realistic.

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Try a library

7. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

and if its not in your local library they have a system to get it in from another ..I think its called the interlibrary loan scheme ....must be one somewhere in the UK

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.