Flats Scooter Rebuild

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by DJONES, Feb 26, 2007.

1. DJONES

DJONES New Member

Ok gents, I am about ready to jump sideways into a restore project. If your not familiar with a scooter or Texas Flats sled it is exactly as it sounds. Flat topped so you can slide off of it an wade, tunnel or reversed keeled so you can run in shallow water. Explanations aside I will be asking a lot of questions, some will or rather all will be indicative of someone that knows nothing but is motivated and willing to learn. I want the pride of refurbishing my own rig an catching fish out of it.

The major items will be transom and top deck replacement, they are too rotten to salvage. I have read about Nida-Core, Coosa, Klegecell and Penske board to use as a sandwich for the transom and maybe even for the deck and longitudinal stringers. IWhen I get that done I will build my own console.

Any and all imput is much appreciated.

D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.