RC Corvette help

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by minerug, Jan 3, 2013.

1. minerug

minerug New Member

Hi all,

I'm currently trying to design and build a remote control corvette, modelled on the new 'stealth' look naval boats.

Assorted specs are as follows

Construction/material: Need help with this one
    Hull type: Chined
    Propulsion: Also need help with this one
    Length: 2070mm
    Width: 332mm
    Height (minus antenna array): 520mm

Other goodies
    Bow mounted water pump (just because)
    2 axis air cannon turret
    2 axis hobby rocket turret
    1 smoke screen
    Push-solenoid powered "depth charge" (buoy) rack
    Wireless cameras of bow and stern
    Preferably custom made RC box

All I have done so far is design the boat in Sketchup. I am new to RC boats and boat construction, but have a decent knowledge of workshop tools and techniques.
    I am not sure about how to rig up all the necessary electrical components and make them RC. All I know is that I'll need around 5 servos (2 for each turret, one for rudder), a few channels for solenoid, water pump switch etc

Any help with regards to the electrical components I'll need, how to rig them up, how to make the RC transmitter + receiver (circuit diagrams?) and how to construct the hull would be most appreciated

Attached Files:

2. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Most likely www.rcgroups is going to be a bigger help to you than anyone here.

Good luck, sounds like a great project.

3. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Sounds as though you may contemplate building the transmitter and reciever yourself. That is not a good use of your time and effort. You can buy spectacular Rx and Tx for just about any purpose. The price is right for what you get. Up to eight channels are common. If you have too many channels you may need to use two transmitters and recievers. That is to be avoided. The more channels the more expense.

You have a very ambitious project going with what you have described. SInce you have not much experience with RC boats, I would urge you to buy a cheap, ready to run, hobby shop model to begin the learning process. That will save you a lot of grief in the long run. You may use some of the components from the "learner" on your big project as well. A hundred dollars or so will get you a decent beginner boat that will be fun to play with and very instructional.

4. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.