AGM batteries: Optima vs. Lifeline vs. Odyssey

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Jeff, May 17, 2009.

?

Which AGM battery make do you prefer?

1. Optima

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Lifeline

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Odyssey

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Other

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

I'll soon have to replace a pair of (cheap) batteries and am thinking of going with AGM for their ability to sit idle for a while without losing much charge when I'm too busy to go out or when we get a cold period spring and fall. I do not know much about batteries and am considering a pair of Optima D31M, Lifeline GPL-31T, or Odyssey PC1500MST, though the latter is getting a bit pricey for my budget. These also are probably a bit overkill for my needs (will mostly just use them for starting and pumps and electronics and powering computer & external wifi antenna) but I like having a bit more battery than I'll hopefully need. (except for the possible tax it could put on my stock mercruiser alternators with the AGMs if I do draw one down all the way.)

Anyone have a good review comparison of Optima vs. Lifeline vs. Odyssey in general?

2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Try a price on Trojan batteries too, I have used and recommended them for many years now.

3. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Thanks Landlubber! The name is familiar but I haven't seen one around here in a while. Will have a look at their pricing. Thanks.

4. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Optimas, are easy to get at most autoparts... They work fairly well, I like Blue tops. Don't know much about others.

5. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Just ordered a pair of Optima blue tops. I've heard some great comments about the Odyssey batteries but the cost was 50% greater.

6. masalai

masalai masalai

My present choice is Optima D34M, but I do not anticipate purchasing till nearer launch date in April 2010, so I am still open to better options (capacity & rate of accepting a charge) as I will have 20 of them and desire the best "bang for the buck" - - They are spiral wound and around 20kg each... but there may well arise better options...

7. mark775

mark775 Guest

For "bang for the buck" you may want LI-ion!

8. masalai

masalai masalai

Mark, thanks for the thought and suggestion, but not at present, - - technical requirements for charging and mid-stack failures and over here the price is horrendous when 48v 220 AH or better is considered... especially when the controlling and management circuitry is included as opposed to a relatively cheap controller for lead acid...