Hydroponics

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Lecter, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Lecter

Lecter Junior Member

I am interested in growing small quantitys of edible crops in spare pockets of space.

Mushrooms ect are of particular interest because for those who don't know the long term ultimate goal is to build a submarine, and they don't take much light (do they?).

as i do not yet have a boat to play with, what feed back can you offer?

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Hydroponics can be quite effective, yes. To make it efficient, you need a fair bit of space and you need good access to all the equipment. Growing stuff on the inside of a submarine could be kind of tricky since space is already very tight. There's a few forums out there dedicated to this kind of agriculture where you might find more experienced folks.

3. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Growing stuff inside a submarine.... Lecter... like Silence of the Lambs, right. Tongue (maybe not your own) firmly in your cheek ?
    OK. I did a short spell on RN submarines in my youth. And sure, we grew stuff - but mainly between our toes. But never tempted to explore its culinary properties... :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.