Can you Identify this boat?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by John Klimek, Dec 23, 2001.

1. John Klimek

John Klimek Junior Member

In my pursuit of an electric boat for my reservoir fishing, I have been taking a two prong attack. One to design an efficient boat for all electric power, the other to find one pre-made. Well on the second approach, I found this image of a cat, which looks to be perfect for my family and me. It appears to have all the requirements to make all in my family happy. It has displacement hulls (needed for efficient electric propulsion), has the bimini top for the wife, open area for casting fishing lures, stable platform.

This image was posted on the web page http://www.greatlakesboating.com/issues/oct98/electric.html

I have sent a request to the publishers of the article but have not receive a reply yet. Can anyone identify the manufacturer, where can I get this boat? This is EXACTLY what I have been looking for!!
    Please help if you can. I want this for Christmas:D

Attached Files:

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I wonder if it's an older model Duffy?

This hull looks very similar, but of course the one in your post has a much nicer deck.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

I notice that here there is mention of two Duffy 18' cats being manufacturered in the past.
    All I see on the Duffy website is the 16' though :(

4. Guest

Guest Guest

just delivered a boat from NY to Baltimore and docked it at a little marina east of Baltimore, up the Middle River along Norman's Creek - a small dry-stack marina all the way at the end of Norman Creek. He was selling an electric Ct that looked exactly like the photo, but i cant remember the name of the boat or the marina. Call Normans Creek Marina or anchor bay yacht sales (through information) and someone shoud be able to instruct you further. this creek is directly across from the Glenn L. Martin State Airport. hope you find it.

5. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

Best wishes with this search, or whichever way you go.

You might also want to check out http://www.stillwaterdesign.com/18 solo.html (I know I've given you links to Stilllwater before, but this appears to be a new, shorter model).

Happy holidays,
    Stephen

6. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

7. looch

looch Junior Member

That does look like a nice boat, a good fisher. I wonder, though, if they will soon ban cats since they banned pontoons--esentially very similar---maybe you can get one and have it grandfathered in.

8. John Klimek

John Klimek Junior Member

The boat in the photo is a DuffyCat18. I called the manufacturer and it is no longer in production. They do have one left for 18K. In addition to that there is the transportation cost from California to Maryland. I decided against pursuing this any further. It is a nice looking boat and seems it would fit the reservoir restrictions but it is not easily transported. It is 8'4" wide, very wide for the streets around my house. I think most people would put this boat in at a marina and leave it there. This is not an option I am interested in at this time.

The guest who wrote:
    just delivered a boat from NY to Baltimore and docked it at a little marina east of Baltimore, up the Middle River along Norman's Creek - ...
    I did some investigating and drove out to Normans Creek with a photo of the boat. After asking some questions in a small store I found the marina that the boat was seen. The boat had been move to a different marina up to the North end of Chesapeake Bay.
    I went up there and found the boat. It was an ElectraCraft18, another boat which is no longer made. It was in pretty poor shape with a lot of spider cracks in the fiberglass. There were some pretty major cracks also that definitely would leak water. Not interested. I was not impressed with the workmanship, the fiberglass seemed very thin.

I looked at the Stillwater boats, they say they are designed for rowing coaches. The deck area seemed fairly small and did not seem to accommodate more than two people on the deck.

9. egjacob

egjacob New Member

Duffy Sportcat 18

The boat you are inquiring about is a Duffy Sportcat 18. I believe the last year they were made was 2002.

I have one that I use on our small lake in Illinois. If you are interested in purchasing it I would be willing to talk with you about it.

My name is Ed Jacob and you can reach me via email at egjacob@ameritech.net.

Look forward to talking with you.

Regards,
    Ed

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.