Can you change the rotation of a velvet drive?

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by az426hemi, Aug 27, 2014.

  1. az426hemi
    Joined: Jul 2006
    Posts: 1
    Likes: 0, Points: 0, Legacy Rep: 10
    Location: Mesa, AZ

    az426hemi New Member

    I am building a 360 for my Correct Craft and I want to change the rotation of the engine to standard like in a car. I do not know where to get a reverse rotation performance cam for a Chrysler small block.

    What will it take to change the Velvet drive 71C? Does it require modifications or will I have to get a standard rotation unit?

  2. PAR
    Joined: Nov 2003
    Posts: 19,128
    Likes: 497, Points: 93, Legacy Rep: 3967
    Location: Eustis, FL

    PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

    Welcome to the forum.

    All the major cam cutters supply reverse rotation marine cams (Crane, Comp, Isky, Elgin, etc.) in stock, performance and custom grinds. Make sure you get the right gear for a CCW engine so you don't eat distrubutors.

    Call Bob Madara at Marine Kinetics (585/654-8583), he'll hook you up.
  3. whitepointer23

    whitepointer23 Previous Member

    On the 71c you just rotate the pump cover on the front for left or right rotation. IT has arrows and instructions cast on the cover.

  4. whitepointer23

    whitepointer23 Previous Member

    If you put the 360 back to standard you need to turn the pistons as well.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.