Can one of you upnorth painters help this guy

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Kaptin-Jer, Nov 3, 2007.

1. ronc98

ronc98 Junior Member

I thought I was doing something wrong as well and I can read. Well somewhat when the fumes are at low levels. Tipping it after it is rolled just does not seem to work well and I have experimented with 15 to 35 percent reductions. It just does not seem to make much difference.

Now that I can think about it I could always use the cream color i have since it is to ugle to use for a topcoat.

2. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

there ya go,,but using it as primer,,count as a half coat,,so for 1 coat primer, use 2 coats top..i think haha,,never really tried it, but have used like a lighter blue then top coat just for first coat trying to save a dude some bucks by using my left-overs,,< any of my past customers ,it wasnt yours,, i used all yours ;)
    now that im thinking it,, i wonder how it would be mixing some together 1 part primer 2 parts top,,hmmnow i think i gonna try it some time hehe
    and to you Ron and Kapt,,and EVERYONE else,,have a great holiday,,and above all,, be safe :)

sincerely,, Jim

3. ronc98

ronc98 Junior Member

:) Happy turkeyday. Today I get to put away the brush and roller and cook some turkey.

4. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

The hatches on the Chrysler are the cheapest, ugliest hatches ever built. I replaced them with home built. If you paint them you will not get any light forward. See the replacement hatches attached. Easy to do. very little money. Let me know if you want to do something similar I'll tell you how I made them.

Much, I don't think mixing Primer and Top will work, Both use different Cat, but a top coat of similar color will help the final coat as far as color depth. You can achieve the same result with extra coats of the final which works better for us amateurs that don't have gallons of left over paint around, because we didn't estimate the job correctly (oops, did I say that)

Ron, Jim, Paul, and all our other friends in the forum- Have A Great Day. Enjoy your time with your families, and be thankful that we can have this time with them.
    Jerry

Attached Files:

5. ronc98

ronc98 Junior Member

I have the green (light area) masked off so I hope I will not get much paint on them. Since the tape does not stick well I will more then likely have to pin strip them later to cover up the creap. Later on in this project I am going to build hatches like you built. They look nice, I would do it now but I am running out of time with my storage unit and I have to get something back on before I take it out. As crappy as they look they will look a little nicer with some paint on them.

Turkey and awlgrip what more could you ask for.

6. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

Are you Done yet?????

Did you fix that paint job? I was thinking a little stripper would ease the pain in your life.:(
    How did you get the white flaking in your finish? If you leave that finish on you are going to have to sand it almost to the wood to get it flat. I think I would strip it. And then clean it with Oxalic acid to take out the "gunk" in the wood. Do a nice restain job with artist oil colors or even lockwood analine dyes. Then do about 5 coats of urethane, hand rubbed....ya know.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.