Can one of you upnorth painters help this guy

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Kaptin-Jer, Nov 3, 2007.

1. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

better use darker paint then white ;)

2. ronc98

ronc98 Junior Member

Well I have to say mixing the flattening agent is like mixing one big rock. what a mess. Once I did get it mixed I mixed it with the semigloss ratio once it dries I will decide if I need to change the ratio. The non-skid is cream colored I am not sure I like the color. It could almost be lighter or darker and look ok. I might mix a little white into it and see what that looks like.

Light colors go on pretty easy, my red was a bit more difficult. Not really the paints fault just a little harder to paint smaller strips. I have a few runs that need sanded out and then one last coat for the boot strip but that will have to be in a few days. It is dropping into the low 40's these next two days and that stops my painting.

3. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

i've had more runs in bootstripes then anywhere else,,and just for the same reason as you slow painters,,too dam hard ta paint those little things. i have a hard time painting yellow..most cause it makes me wanna puke,, but cause my eyes cant see it worth anything.flatting agent is like a cow P'n on a flat rock,,,,1 big mess

4. ronc98

ronc98 Junior Member

my run problem was because it was a bit colder and the paint did not flow well so I put on a little to much then I should have. when I left it it looked terrible however the next day it looked much better. A little sanding and another coat it will look nice. At this point it looks a little transparent kind of like a candy apple. Cool color effect but not really want I wanted. I will start painting again monday when it gets warmer. I yanked the fineline tape off and nice crisp lines. One small smudge that I could clean up by wiping reducer over it.

5. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

6. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Stripes--Now you didn't ask the expert about stripes - This is where I join forces with Much-- don't try to brush stripes. You can never get the flow right. Go to Home Depot and buy a couple of Pre-Valve spray units. About $2.00 each. You should have spray reducer, but actually the brush reducer will work for small areas. Make sure you mix well and filter your mix before you put it into the Pre valve. Mask off the area around the stripe with 18" masking paper and spray the stripe. No runs, great finish. By the way, if you have an airbrush that works great too.

7. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

I warned you about that flattening agent. Very difficult to use, Don't use the amount Awl Grip says. Run tests

8. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

its only a matter of time till everyone comes over to the magic bus ,, i mean "my side" ;)

9. ronc98

ronc98 Junior Member

Gee thanks Kaptin. Now you tell me. I am half way into it now so there is no turning back. A little sanding some warmer temps and I am going to try it again. If I only have the components for brushing. If I spray it what ratio of the brush converter and reducer should I go with?

10. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

you do know ron that he wont get back to ya until after you try the spraying,, then he'll get on here and tell ya,,," i should of told you that you cant do it that way " hahahaha

11. ronc98

ronc98 Junior Member

I will just tell him I tried to spray it and it sucked. Went back to brushing it. Maybe that will get him to give me the hints.

12. charmc

charmc Senior Member

To be fair: Kaptin's post #48, and Ron's response # 49.

13. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

i'd try smothering myself in seaweed,,,,tell him your a mermaid and need his expertise heehe,,,,,,,i gotta go,,starting to get myself excited ;)

14. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

i think i read 48 and 49,,,,not sure,, i can only count to 20 with my toes and fingers,,,got nekkid but only made it to 20 1/2,,,,,but i didnt see where kapt told him to spray the bootstripe,,,jus where he said he'd help with the flattening agent, ;),,,,and even if he did,,,,,its still all his fault!! ;)

15. ronc98

ronc98 Junior Member

Here are a few pictures. I do not have alot of room to work with in taking pictures but at least it is something

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.