Can one of you upnorth painters help this guy

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Kaptin-Jer, Nov 3, 2007.

1. ronc98

ronc98 Junior Member

I thought you liked the fumes?

I could also re tape each day

2. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

heh,,i do like em,,,i just know my "limitations" on what i can do after i've painted a 60 footer hehehe ;) and i would pick re-taping over waiting. the non skid makes it hard too,, it seems to stick more and faster then just plain ole paint. but again,, i've never done that cow tippin,, i mean boat tipping before,, but i would lean towards the safest way other then the " maybe" side,,, sorry take so long to respond,,im doing this between picking the shop up for the night lol ;)

3. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Ron,
    I'll jump in with a big caution. Do not follow Awl Grips' mixing ratio for the flatting agent. Start mixing a little at a time (try to keep track of what you are adding) you will find the agent is like peanut butter without the oil, and not too easy to work with. The Awl grip ratios are much too heavy. You can't even brush the mixture. Trial and error, on a scrap- best advise I can give. I added the "sand " into my mix. It worked after I learned how to keep it mixed. You can do it that way or broadcast. If you broadcast you will need to top coat after it sets. Some people like to use a Fine sand in the last coat. They say it makes everything look even.

4. ronc98

ronc98 Junior Member

the plan was to first paint the nonskid with white first with the particles mixed in it. I will just mix it all the time and ALOT. If that looks ok then I will just top coat it with flat white. Still have not decided if I like the flat white or the flat cream. If the texture is not right i will broadcast over the first coat before it flashes then top coat it the next day. Thanks for the advice on the flattening mixing. When you say they add fine sand on the final topcoat is that normal silica sand? The grit I have now seems to be about the same size as silica sand.

5. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Actually the sand that you purchased is Aluminum oxide. The same stuff thats on sandpaper. We just call it sand. But don't get this forum started on non-skid, If you do a thread search you will see ideas from almost every imaginable thing you can think of that people have tried to use.

6. ronc98

ronc98 Junior Member

Kap you are a vet right?

Thanks for the service!

7. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

i chop up my undies and old socks works good,,, noone has slipped on my deck,,,of course they wont even walk on my deck hahaha ;)

8. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Yes,
    Vietnam, Thanks very much!

9. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

heh,,, i wanna start a thread " do ground up chicken bones make a good non-skid?" hahaha o my gosh,,,, i got tears commin outta my eyes, and can barely breathe hahaha
    and TY kapt. me and my family appreciate everything you all did and have done fer us ;)

10. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Thanks guys, Us Vetnam vets really appreaciate the thought.

See Ron, I told you not to get this forum started on Non-skid, - Old ground up Deck shoe soles - suger - salt - cork - wood shavings - on and on------

11. ronc98

ronc98 Junior Member

Well if the guy with the deisel bus fires it up again while I am painting I will grind him up and use him as non-stick.
    I guess I should have used my inside voice on that one.

12. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

hehe,fill their muffler full of anything to block it completly,,heh,,,or,,,drop a cigarette wrapper in dere fuel tank,, itll wrap round their pick-up hose,, and melt a little clear,,,,it'll take em a year to figure out why they aint gettin no fuel ;)
    and i wish i had an outside voice,,,it left when my ole lady took my ba*** :(

13. ronc98

ronc98 Junior Member

finally the smooth stuff is painted and half the non-skid. I had 8 oz of left over white so I decided to play around a bit with mixing ths sand into the paint and rolling it on. I think that is how i am going to go. It went on great and looks uniform. Tomorrow I will tape and paint the bootstrips and finish up the nonskid. More then likely I will just go with the white mixed with sand and flattened a bit. I like the color. These past few days it has been in the 60's I have one more day of 60's and then it drops down into the 40's

God I hate Ohio weather. When the kids are out of school I am moving someplace tropical!

14. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

go while their in school,,,i would leave in the morning,,it'll prob be almost 6 pm before they start the search,,by that time ya be half way there ;) ,,heh
    remember when you mix ya sand to mix OFTEN,, i think it like mix sand in,,let stand for 15 or 20 minutes,,paint on. i would do that, then stir a few times every so often,, but try to do everything the same through the whole job,, that way you'll get a uniform look.. say you mixed,,then let it sit,,then after 15 min. of painting you mixed real good for 5 min,, then kept painting along,,,,,you'd be able to see that spot till ya repainted ;(

15. ronc98

ronc98 Junior Member

the way it worked this evening I needed to mix about every few minutes. I did not use a roller pan. I mixed then poured alittle out and spread it out with a roller.

If I waited more then a few minutes the sand ended up on the surface of the paint can.

Kids would love to move to the beach, it is their crackhead mother (My Ex-wife) She would make good non-skid :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.