Can one of you upnorth painters help this guy

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Kaptin-Jer, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Glade things are going well, It really is easier to brush then Awl Grip would have you think. Don't let the first coat set too long before you go around again or you will have to sand, also be careful with the tack rag - be very light, you don't want to leave any of the tack on the surface.

2. ronc98

ronc98 Junior Member

I am going to have to sand anyway. I have to get rid of the dust that I did not eliminate the first time. Plan is to let it set for 24 hours then sand, wipe, alcohol wipe, tack then paint again. Oh ya followed by beer. I will more then likely repeat this for the next six days. Fun Fun Fun.

3. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

--Did the same thing on the same boat--that 26 footer starts to feel like a 40 footer by the third time around. The attached pic is a Chrysler I brushed. Same color you are using. Don't use a machine when you sand the 2nd coat. Hand sand lightly with 320. Just enough to take the sheen off.

Attached Files:

4. ronc98

ronc98 Junior Member

that sure looks nice. I will post pictures when I am done. I hope mine will look as good as yours. On a different topic I made my own custom windows so now I can tose the larger ones. I have access to a cnc mill and PVC. Sure beats the 1200 for the other windows.

5. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

thats a good job kapt.,,,cept those few places ,,,hehehe ;)
    i'd be proud of that job from us hippie sprayers,, my hats off to you guys,,, i thought being a fairer was a slow boring job,, just cant magine looking at a 26 footer thinking a coat of paint on in an hour is doing good :)
    you guys like (thinkin kapt maybe in love) your boats more then i do my ole lady hahaha ;) cant wait fer the pics ron

your secret admirer Jim ;)

6. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Much,
    Poverty - the Mother of Invention- Can't afford spray equipment - Can't afford to have you spray it for me. Don't have the time or money to tent the boat. Solution!! Get good at rolling and tipping. Much, it is not that difficult and it is just as fast as spraying with side benefits, like being a lot safer, environmentally friendly (if you are a tree hugger). The boss is yelling talk later---

7. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

you've never seen a painter cheap as me hehe,, husky 60 gallon compressor under $400,,paint guns from harbor freight under $20, air tools from same ( cause i NEVER oil my tools for good reasons) maybe $100 all 8 tools,, did pay fpr air dryer tho,,heh..used $200,,, and it took me 5 years to get all that heh,, and when i do a job,, i give quote,,and tell em they BUY all material! including price for NEW respirator,, all the way down ta toilet paper i used while thinking bout their job hahaha ;)
    shoot,,,what you need ta do is get a side job painting sumone elses,,,use that mulla fer SPRAY equipment hehehe,,,, then find someone with a shop that wants to go partners,,,, use him for 3 years,,,get own place ;)
    i started out in a car going from boat yard to boat yard doing their fairing and paint prep for 3 years,, then got my own trailer and comp. and started the only portable awl-grip spraying biz.,,, then i got old heh ;)

8. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Too late, I'm already old. And I found out a long time ago if you take a fun hobby and try to turn it into a way to make a living it becomes work and not fun any longer. I do work on other peoples' boats -varnishing, small 'glass repairs, Awl-Grip, general fix-up, but I usually do it as a barter, or for free. I want to keep my boating stuff as a hobby, and as therapy from my 55 hour week driving a computer. 35 years ago I was going to design yacht interiors, I got sidelined into architecture, so I make do.

9. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

hehehehe,, its still my hobby,,,,,i hate boats so i dont own 1 haha ;)
    and now that i'm semi-retired,,its back to something to do with my hands,,,,,YA(wife yells) heh ;) i did it as a job for years just to learn,, so i could get good nuff ta be PICKY on what jobs i do. and i dont "hate" boats,,jus dont like em in the water ;)
    the perfect boat is a sail boat with no sails

10. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Then you'll LOVE mine. No mast, engine not running yet----but I got the A/C running, The 110V system hot, cold beer in the Refrigerator, and a TV for watching my football and hockey. Like you said, The perfect boat!

11. ronc98

ronc98 Junior Member

one more coat done. I ended up running some 320 over the paint to remove the dust from the first coat. Then when I painted this time I kept the door closed to cut down on the wind and dust. Also did the lint free alcohol rag followed by a tack rage. Much much much better. To paint the topside and then everything under the toe rail takes about 2.5 hours. Most of that is the topside. Not so bad but since it is cold here I have a bit of time before it flashes off. Still amazing paint period.

If it all looks good I will stop at two coats on the topside and allow it to dry for another day then start on the no-skid areas. It looks pretty good at this point. Right when I got finished and was cleaning, a couple of guys were working on a tour bus a few bays down and decide to start it. Must not have been run for a while because it belched out ALOT of black smoke and started filling my pay. Ya with wet paint. I hope I got it closed in time We will see tomorrow. As bad as it is for the environment it is a bit worse for my paint job.

Now it is beer time and some football. I will post pics as soon as I remember to bring the camera home.

12. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

that black smoke is bad bad bad,,,,but least it was after the paint was on!! its not so bad after paint applies,, if you do happen to get "fish eyes" they'll be easy to lightly sand out,,, way better then before ya paint :)
    and kapt,,, you happen to have a "room" ta rent? hahaha ;)

13. ronc98

ronc98 Junior Member

I stopped by a while ago and the paint on the hull looks good so the deisel smoke did not screw anything up. I do have a weird spot in a scratch repair. Looks like it needed cleaned a bit better I will sand it and wipe it down with MEK. That should do the trick.

14. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

MEK???????? no no non oooooo,,,,,that will give ya bad spots,,,,sand and wipe with alcohol, a good trick is hold a dampened rag with alcohol under your block,, so it will catch alot of the dust
    kapt,, if you see this e-mail him before he wipes down :(

15. ronc98

ronc98 Junior Member

NO MEK? Ok Alcohol it is. I just figured that would remove what ever was there. Remember I drive the short bus every now and then.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.