YDS Input

Discussion in 'Education' started by Lafitte, May 15, 2007.

1. Lafitte

Lafitte J. Delgado

Greetings,

I just wanted to give some first hand input in regards to YDS...

First, a brief about my background.
    I have worked in the industry for about 10 years, providing 3d modeling, plate developement and lofting, nesting, cadcam programming and cnc plasma cutting services to boat builders in South Louisiana. Most of my clients build steel and aluminum commercial vessels for the oilfield, and related offshore maritime projects. Currently have 10,000+ hours logged in Rhino, Flamingo, Autocad, Pronest, Turbonest etc. Currently we operate a state-of-the-art
    High Definition CNC plasma system, and offer contract cutting services to boatbuilders working in steel, corten, or aluminum.

I have currently been enrolled at YDS for a year or better.

The flexibility offered by YDS has been great, since I am extremely busy.
    I have learned an incredible amount of information from Tom, and consider myself fortunate to have direct communications with him in regards to my work and courses. Its like having a tutor, who has a lifetime of boat design, repair, and construction experience.

I have heard many good things about Westlawn...

Perhaps we should consider ourselves fortunate to have a variety of educational opportunities avalible to us, in that we have options.

For some I am certain that Westlawn is a great provider of educational
    services, and for some, including myself, YDS is a great match.

I have greatly furthered my career as a result of being a student at YDS...
    Different strokes as they say.

The most important thing is to love what you do. I know first hand that
    Tom does what he does with great passion, as I am sure there are staff members of Westlawn with equal love for the sea.

Best Wishes,

J. Delgado Sr.
    Lafitte

2. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

Yeah...

I am happy if your happy... good luck:)

3. luckettg

luckettg Junior Member

It is really nice to have the choice of learning styles. I like YDS because it is more of a tutoring type of teaching and therefore is much more flexible. It is the knowledge I want and have little need at my age and point in life for another diploma to hang on the wall. I like Westlawn for the oppisite reasons, in that it is a more traditoinal distance learning format. I may someday take lessons from there too.

4. Lafitte

Lafitte J. Delgado

Options

I agree with you indeed. It is great that we have options.

Lafitte

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.