Charge to bus or battery?

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by 23feet, Jul 10, 2015.

1. 23feet

23feet Junior Member

First of all I would like to thank all of the knowledgeable folks on this forum who are willing to answer questions for electrical illiterates like myself.

My next electrically illiterate question is, can I connect the charge wire from a solar panel (or outboard) to my positive bus/fuse panel, and ground to the negative bus bar, or should I take them all the way to the battery?

The instructions always say to take the fused charge to the battery, but would it not be that same as connecting to the buses, and using a fuse on the fuse panel?

thanks

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I guess the direct to battery connection ensures the lowest loss of power, which may be important if its 12 volt. There is always a slight loss through any kind of connector.

3. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Him 23feet, now this could be dangerous by you not being on the same wavelength as us. First at all, you can put a globe/bulb directly on the solar panel, but what you have to understand is, if the globe is a small globe/bulb i.e. 12 Volt/ 5 watt on a 60 watt solar panel , you will blow your globe/bulb as soon the light shines brightly onto your solar panel, due to the fact that the voltage will creep up to 18 - 20 Volt. However if your globe/bulb is 12 Volt/12 watt on a 10 watt solar panel, nothing will happen apart that the globe/bulb will shine dim or bright. I have no idea nor any of the other forum members , what you have switched on and what is switched off. As a result we cannot advise you to do that and I would stick to go via the battery. But if you connect a solar panel controller between solar panel and bus bar maybe it works, but you really need to know what you are doing. Is it worth the risk? Bert

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015