Can I Use 4 Stroke Oil To Burn In A 2 Stroke Sea Doo ?

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by Sceptre, Mar 29, 2010.

1. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Yes Jimbo, there's a lot more to say about engine efficiency and emission, but the topic was an oil question and I wanted to keep things simple.

I didn't mention Castor and jojoba mainly because of their price. We have both olives and ricinus in our garden: you need an awful lot of seeds to get one can of Castor oil. Olive oil is good enough for a 2 stroke.

2. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Thanks for the compliment.
    I would use the same oil for a 911 if that was what I had in the garage. But I probably would have sold that car a long time ago because it has a much better market value than the technically far superior 928.

3. restornator

restornator Junior Member

I don't know who told you your 85hp Johnson was a 4-stroke, but i can tell you it's not. It's a 2-stroke V-4

4. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

Thanks CDK,
    I suffered Porsche lust at a time of my life when I lacked sufficient financial capability to keep one roadworthy as a daily driver. I have some modest familiarity with Porsche engineering, reliability, and the role oil plays as the lifeblood of a high performance aircooled motor.

It speaks volumes to me that a guy like you would run the oils you mention in a motor like that. This thread has taken a fascinating turn for me. My eyes have been opened wide. All the best, enjoy your mechanical marvels.

5. cummingknives

cummingknives cummingknives

It is entirely possible to fire randomly during tourist season, and it might be recommended in some cases. For example, I miss my ex wife often. But my aim is improving.

6. cummingknives

cummingknives cummingknives

Here's what I think these guys should do:

1. Sea-do guys get one can and fill it with factory recommended fuel for their specific boats. Put a big warning label on the can: SEA-DO ONLY.

2. Johnson guy gets his own can and fills it with factory recommended fuel. Put an equally big warning label on the can: JOHNSON MOTOR ONLY.

All three cruise for chicks happily ever after.

7. Marco1

Marco1 Senior Member

This may be of interest

8. CDK

CDK retired engineer

At first glance a comprehensive article from an expert.
    But looking closer there is a journalist at work, writing a biased story.

An example:
    >After these compounds (Calcium Phenate or Magnesium Phenate) do their job, they burn away, forming a heavy metal salt (ash) that is swept away during the normal combustion process.<
    Not true, Ca and Mg are no heavy metals.

9. jonr

jonr Senior Member

> Engine life and friction losses are better served with a 50:1 mixture {vs 100:1}

I agree with this and I wonder where it stops. Ie, I usually run 40:1 - which I think reduces engine wear even further.

For what little it is worth, I've done my share of Internet research on oil performance and I use synthetics almost everywhere. I run a little bit of 2 stroke oil in the gas of four stroke engines when it is below freezing. And I'm careful about warming up engines before working them.

10. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Due to ring sealing 2 strokes make most power when the ratio is down to about 25:1

11. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

My favorite 2 stroke oil is Bel Ray MC-1+. Viscosity provides the highest level of protection and a pre-mix oil that says on the jug/bottle "will not flow in oil injection systems" has it. I ran ultralight aircraft engines at cyl head temps of 425 degrees on extended climb outs at WOT and max power rpm with MC-1+ at 50-1. Never ran the Bel Ray in OBs as it is quite expensive and engine temps in water cooled OBs don't demand it. I run the Evinrude XD 100 at 50-1 in my E-tech 40hp twin.
    Jonr,
    In the past I used 2 stroke oil in my lawnmower (4 stroke). Cleaned the plugs once in 12 yrs. Didn't smoke. Not good to put 2 stroke oil in the fuel of a car w catalytic converter.

Easy Rider.

12. Marco1

Marco1 Senior Member

It is good practice to add 2 stoke oil in a lean mixture 50:1 or even 100:1 to 4 stroke small engines. For high performance or hard working larger petrol engines you can buy "upper cylinder lubricant".
    As an aside, I add 2 stroke oil to my diesel fuel not for the cylinder lubrication but to compensate for the loss of sulfur in the new diesel at a rate of 100:1. Cheap and effective fuel and injector protection

CDK
    Would olive oil mixed in my diesel work as well and in what proportion?
    What about Castor oil?
    PS
    Strictly speaking I should use API-TC synthetic oil for diesel fuel given the high temperature ...(?)

13. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Marco1, I see no benefits when olive oil or castor oil is added to diesel fuel.
    If you're concerned about the lower sulfur content of modern fuels, add heating oil. That is the only high sulfur fuel available to private buyers, the others, like bunker fuel for big ships contain even more sulfur but are sold in large quantities only.

I know using red diesel is considered to be tax evasion but I think you'd make a strong case in court stating that you use it as an additive to prolong engine life.

14. Marco1

Marco1 Senior Member

Unfortunately no such product is sold in Australia anymore that I know off.

15. CDK

CDK retired engineer

What?? No more heating oil in Australia? And the farmers with their big tractors really have to buy high taxed diesel.....

What you need is one of the compounds called mercaptan or thiol, like ethane-thiol C2H5SH. That is ethanol C2H5OH where the O is replaced with an S atom. It is soluble in both fuel and water.
    You could also tell your pharmacist you expect an attack with the war gas Lewesite and need Dimercaptopropanol as an antidote. A few drops in your fuel tank give you all the sulfur you need.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.