Ve resin,will this work?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Tungsten, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Tungsten

Tungsten Senior Member

I would like to try some infusion of corecell foam,i found this Ve resin locally.
    Will it work?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanks,

2. AVMan

AVMan Junior Member

What sort of gel time will you be working with? What sort of peak exotherm will the resin have? The dynamic viscosity is on the higher end of the scale for infusion, but it will still work if you have a generous gel time. You'll also want to make sure the resin is not thixotropic (if it is, they should list a "thix idex" value somewhere), as it will give you un-needed viscosity.

3. Tungsten

Tungsten Senior Member

4. Herman

Herman Senior Member

Peak exotherm is the heat generated during cure.

Ask a sample, and do some testing. (100 grams in a small cup). You can vary the curing time by adjusting the cobalt (is it pre-accelerated?), the type and amount of catalyst, and by adding substances like acetyl-aceton, which slows cure.

If at all possible, get an expert to look at it or advise you.

5. Tungsten

Tungsten Senior Member

Thanks,i've since located another brand from my fiberglass supplier and i'm awaiting some info.

I guess theres a lot to learn about this Ve resin stuff.

6. Herman

Herman Senior Member

Be aware that the type of catalyst can make a huge difference. Also keep in mind that H2O2 in peroxide generates bubbles when mixed with VE. Depending on the amount this can be annoying for your infusion. With for instance Norac Andos MCP a small amount of bubbles is generated, but after 5 minutes or so they are gone. Then degass, and infuse. The time with MCP usually is comfortably long.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.