Can I (should I) build this boat this way

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by fred breyer, Feb 3, 2010.

1. fred breyer

fred breyer Junior Member

Hello all

This is my first post but I have been lurking around on this forum for quite some time. I will get right to the point. I want to build this boat or one very much like it with very beefy 2x wood framing with either plywood/fiberglas or c-flex planking construction. Primarily I would be building just the hull in this way.
    Also (maybe off topic) would like some opinions on how this boat might do in more open water like the great lakes and 5 to 10 miles offshore in the gulf. I would like to use it to do the great loop route.

Looking forward to your input/advice

Thanks

Fred

Attached Files:

2. fred breyer

For got to mention that the boats general dimensions would be 65' by 15' or 16'

3. happy_red

happy_red Junior Member

Interesting looking boat. Is she flat bottomed?

4. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

The question above is most important for anybody to answer your question. We need to know thw hull shape, how you plan on powering it, and knowing the approx weight would be nice. The 2 story on it would have to be very, very light, and open to allow wind and water passage except for sheltered waters. There are disigns for large ocean going houseboats. Is that what you envision?

5. fred breyer

More info on the canal boat. I dont have exact weights at the moment. The boat will be equipt as follows. the second story will be mostly open railing with a canopy. there will be a pilothouse type structure about 13 feet wide and 15 feet long fore to aft. Planing for 500 gal. water, 200 gal waste tank and 200 gal, diesel.
    The "house" will have the same furnishings as a small 2 bed room apartment. Fridge, Microwave, stack washer/dryer appliances
    Mechanical equipment.
    2 12kw diesel gen sets one dedicated to "house power" and battery charging.
    there will be 3 sets of 16 6 volt batteries. these batteries will be use as follows. One set for reserve house power the other two sets for the primary drive that will consist of two DC motors. there will also be a bow thruster.The canopy over the second story and the roof of the pilot house will be covered with 200w solar panels.
    The boat will be used MOSTLY on inland waterways of the eastern united states as will as the intracoastal waterway and sections of the great lakes. This is not intended in anyway to be an ocean going vessel.
    My question again, with this boat being 65 feet by 16 feet can I safely build this boat with very beefy 2x wood framing with either plywood/fiberglas or c-flex planking construction There will be abouit 1 to 3 degrees of dead rise so the botton will not be completely flat.

Thanks again for your thoughts and ideas.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  6. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

The moment you add height you have a stability probelm if you are thinking of getting away from shelted waters . windage is another factor not to be ignored , you would have to pick your weather and be 110% sure not to get caught out because you would be history . SO make sure you have good life insurance for any family you have , then carry on !!! .
    :p

7. alan white

alan white Senior Member

The canal bridges are pretty low. Have you considered height?

8. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

You might or then maybe not... With boats it's not so simple like with houses.. In a house you can be pretty sure about the structure with 2"x5" cc20" walls without much concern will the house be 1000sqft or 10000.. With boat the loads grow remarkably with the size and weight so there's no simple answer. You'd better to look for some professional plans or start to study boatdesign.. in the first case you can start right away when you get suitable plans, and in the second one you might consider starting with plans after couple of years if you have intensively concentrated in your studies.. Either way will cost you about equal amounts of money..