Offshore Fishing Boats

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by Reid Crownover, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Reid Crownover

Reid Crownover Young Hustler

I am doing a good deal of research on saltwater recreational boats all the way from center console boats all the way up to 150' yachts and I was wondering if someone could give me some insight and details as to why recreational offshore fishing boats are rarely outfitted with inboard engines. seems like they all have outboards.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

There seems to be a lot of information you're looking for, so may I suggest Dave Gerr's book "The Nature of Boats" as a primer . You will not be able to design a boat from its contents, but you'll get a good overview why things are shaped and equipped they way they are. Your assumption about inboards is incorrect, but read the book (and many others) to see why we decide to do things they way the seem to be done.

3. Reid Crownover

Reid Crownover Young Hustler

I have read a few so far that my professor seggested and just picked up a set of SNAME text books to read. I will check that one out.

4. Lepke

Lepke Junior Member

I'd like to see the 150' yacht with outboards. Starting at about 25', most sportfishing boats go to inboards and about 35' go to diesels. It depends on how fast you want to get to the fishing grounds, how much fuel you can afford, and how often you want to rebuild your engines.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Most offshore sportfishing boats have diesel inboards.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.