Can I remove 2/3 of my liner? Is it structural on my boat?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Let_Freedom_Ring, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

I can't really be sure from your pictures but there are basicly two methods of original construction. One is you make the liner, rivet it to the hull then fill the space between liner and hull with expanding foam. Liner is structural as long as the foam holds fast to it. Second is to put stringers and floors then put the liner over them and mechanicly fasten in some places. Liner is somewhere between cosmetic and structural depending on how well and often it's fastened to the rest.
    Your best bet is to treat the liner as cosmetic and reinforce the hull with stringers and frames where needed. Then put the parts of the liner tthat you want to keep back and fiberglass them to the rest of the structure.

Let_Freedom_Ring and fallguy like this.
  2. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

If you put the floor liner back on; the likely result in ingress and an incomplete seal and more rot.

All you need for the floor is plywood and glass; not a liner partway stuck down with voids here n there.

3. Let_Freedom_Ring

Let_Freedom_Ring Junior Member

9E35AB87-2ED6-42DA-81A9-03FABA041FB7.jpeg D750AFF9-51B9-4BC2-BCDE-EAB698C2B116.jpeg FC5C4D15-B98A-44F3-8771-E49BF1BF1B0A.jpeg

so it wasn’t really sitting flat.
    Looks like it was designed to sit on the water channels in the back half. The floor above the stringers stopped short of the scupper wells(liner) and just exposed foam well below the wells.

After much deliberation, I have decided to keep the liner largely intact. I think there is some value in keeping it original. And after flipping it over and pulling some wood it seems well built. Thanks for all your responses. The question is now do I glue in the liner/foam the cabin portion? And maybe foam the walls?

any thoughts?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  4. Let_Freedom_Ring

I made the changes to the floor. Looks like I’m going to glue the liner 61AF537D-5F53-4F9B-955C-361A2AC8E925.jpeg skin in. Gonna foam in the Cuddy a little and while I would like to foam between the liner walls and hull, gonna pass on that one. Thanks again for the help you all. The bump outs toward the back are for bench seats as they matched the motor cover. I finally saw another boat like this that was largely stock. Was never designed for two captains chairs up front. Good to know as I move foreword on this journey.
    -Good times

Attached Files:

5. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Send us some pictures of the work, p&t.

Let_Freedom_Ring likes this.
  6. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

If you want the captains chairs, now s the time to insert some stout backing to carry them without causing damage.

fallguy likes this.

7. Let_Freedom_Ring

My deck is 3/4”. I have installed a base to support a captains chair. I’m getting excited