Hull Builders

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by bhenken08, Dec 20, 2007.

1. bhenken08

bhenken08 New Member

Does anyone know where I can find a custom aluminum hull builder? Oh and I’m also looking for a qualified boat designer.

Any help appreciated

2. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

Bhenken08,

If you Google "us shipyards" you will get to this site from the US Maritime administration:

http://www.marad.dot.gov/nmrec/links/usshipyardsr.html

It lists all the shipyards in the US arranged by region. Most of these shipyards are metal boat and ship builders. Many of the names in the lists have hyperlinks to the respective websites.

If this is for a small craft, you can also try Custom Steel Boats in Merritt, NC, and their website is:

http://www.customsteelboats.com/

They are very experienced in aluminum fabrication and welding and can give you necessary information.

I hope that helps.

Eric

3. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

i am a custom builder with 30 years experience,(see gallery)
    I sent email

4. gwboats

gwboats Naval Architect

Qualified Designer

bhenken08,

Please see the Boat Design Directory for a comprehensive list of qualified designers (including me!!).

Don't be worried about using a designer based abroad since most design work is now global.

At present I am working on a design in the UK, which is building in Turkey, using engineers from Holland and technical backup from Italy, USA and Germany.

Good luck with your project.

Graham Westbrook
    Naval Architect

5. kmorin

kmorin Senior Member

Washington State Aluminum contacts

bhenken08,

The Metal Boat Society, has lots of contacts in the Washington area, its based partly in Port Townsend just south of Bellingham.

Michael Kasten has some aluminum designs and is close to your location, Pete Silva is near you and has done some very nice aluminum yachts.

I'd think Bill Munson's guys [Bill Munson Boats] in Mount Vernon would know almost everyone in your neck of the woods who build in aluminum?

John Simpson @ http://www.simpsonmarinedesign.com/contactus.htm has done some nice work in welded aluminum design, many of these projects have been built in BC of course and he'll know that group of builders which is renowned for the 100'Plus "mega-yachts" they produce.

Tim Nolan, P.E., Naval Architect at Tim Nolan Marine Design, PC, is in Port Townsend I believe and has done lots of larger metal boats, I think that includes aluminum but don't know first hand.

Rozema is near you somewhere and they're an extremely good aluminum shop and of course so are the Nichols Brothers there (Whidbey Is?) but they seem to focus on ships now days. Both world class builders with solid reputations and the best of work in one off.

Best of luck with your project

Cheers,
    kmorin

6. AMFBoats

AMFBoats Senior Member

Hi We are aluminium custom boat builders based in New Zealand. Check out my gallery and web sites. We are quality based in both designs and build. www.amfboats.co.nz and www.amf.co.nz cheers Bevan

7. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

If you are not made of $$$$$$$$$$$ be sure to avoid like the Devil any yard that has ever built for the military or gov.

A small yard may have 3 or 4 workers and a fellow or gal in the front , doing the ordering ect.

After a gov contract the same 3 guys will be hammering away , but 45 folks will be busily doing paperwork up front,
    YOU PAY FOR IT ALL!

FF

8. Brent Swain

Brent Swain Member

Talk to John Dearborn in Gibson's BC. He has a beautiful boat in the finishing stages in his shop right now . Totally fair, no filler needed.
    Brent

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.