Can I make this table top fan QUIETER by modding the blades or something else?

Discussion in 'Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics' started by Squidly-Diddly, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

Just ordered one of these nice consumer friendly, ready made, nicely packaged 15Amp/110v Rheostats, designed for power tools so should be fine for little table or the portable hang-able one speed ceiling fan I bought.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/271498496732

And I can even use it for power tools like my otherwise wonderful (but one speed) Makita belt sander. It has a flat top so I can easily clamp it to table top. Haven't seen any flat top belt sanders with variable speeds that can be locked at a certain speed for hands free use. Maybe I will also work good at "taming" otherwise powerful and dangerous worm-drive saws, and make any drill speed LOCKABLE (rather than trying to convince people not to burn up bits at too high a speed).

I guess I'll find out if the reduction in power translates into reduction in speed, or just power so it slows down once it takes a load.

Seems the designers of Personal/Household fans just can't resist "making good use of available motor's power" which always results in a fairly noisy fan and so much air it starts to dry my eyeballs out.

Even kitchen blenders need about another 3-4 LOWER settings IMO. Ditto with portable electric room heaters, hot plates, etc.

UPDATE: The Rheostat shows up but when I use it on the 3spd table top fan the fan motor makes an irritating buzzing sound that sure SOUNDS like its bad for the motor, and on the hang-able ceiling fan it has the clutch cutting out if anything but full power. On the little Zippi cloth blade fan....if I turn it down just a bit the fan still runs OK and is nice and weak and almost silent, which is what I was after. :)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  2. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

According to this, the noise dampening stuff is on the front of the wing (at 1:59)

If you put that stuff on the back of the wing, you might just make everything that much louder. ??

This site says some of the sound dampening is on the front of the wing, some is on the back of the wing and some is on the downy feathers covering the top of the wing, the legs and some other things.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02kqgpf

So maybe take apart a down pillow and glue the feathers over everything in the vicinity, maybe making a down covered head cover also, would help.

[​IMG]

What might work the best would be to substitute actual owl wings for the plastic blades of the fan.

3. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Owl wings go up and down not round and round. Your math is wrong..

4. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Math?
    Helter skelter?
    Well, I guess it's back to my post #16 with the up and down fan but using owl wings.
    Besides, it's the wind rushing over the wings front to back that makes the noise. I don't see where there would be any difference going up and down or round and round. The up and down is only to get the whole works moving forward through the air, which in the end is the same as going round and round on a fan.
    I imagine in a number of years owls will evolve and develop propellers.

5. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Sorry for the bad spelling.

6. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

The major source of noise is the wing tip.
    Unless the wing is stalled in normal operation
    No fan is going to have the "active control" that an Owl has, so you might as well forget that.