Can I make my own windows??

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by mongo75, Sep 4, 2008.

1. mongo75

mongo75 Senior Member

I'm not sure if I already asked this question anywheres, but I'm at the point in my resotration where I need to put some windows on the thing. I plan on having it about 6 feet ong, 18" high, 90* in the front and a nice sloping curve at the rear end (no jokes LOL) .

I've priced some marine window manufactures and they are pretty damned expensive for my budget. Can I just use some extrusions from Lowes and then have a glass company cut and temper some windows for me? And if so, can I get away with using 3/16th glass on a flybridge, or do I have to go with 1/4"? It's my impression that the glass doesn't, or rather shouldn't, support any of the weight of the cabin correct?

Please let me know if this is feasible!! Thanks !!

2. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

it may not "support" anything,, but it does take alot of "pressure" against wind, waves, and flexing of the boat.i'd go with the 1/4. i know ya can get them made,,but i dont know bout them having it tempered after,,,,, never thought about it that deep,,hehe ;)

3. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

Can I make my own windows??<< can ya blow glass? ,,hehe :D

4. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

I'm planning to anyway..
    Acrylic is the way if making curved windows in a carage.

5. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Of course. Acrylic is lasercut very well. If you're a bit clever on the design they can even open and close.

6. mongo75

mongo75 Senior Member

There's a glass shop not too far from where I live that can cut to shape and then temper the glass for me at a reasonable cost, vice the $2000 another company quoted me. If I was redoing a 50' yacht then $2000 would be a drop in the bucket, but to my military paycheck it's a different story. I was also thinking acrylic because I can do it myself, but am concerned with the eventual scratching of the plastic. The reason I wanted to use 3/16th is because I have 2 4x8 sheets of the stuff, and Lowes sells double channel 1/4" extruded aluminum I could use for a frame.

7. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Mongo,
    I had to make mine to replace the ones that were blown out. You can get alum. extrusions and the Alum, male / female screw bolts that I forgot what they are called. I used dark bronze acrylic. Some advice - the plastic lays on the outer surface on a bed of mastic. Drill oversize holes for the thru bolts that Ican'trememberthemameof If you are using a 1/4" bolt make a 1/2" hole in the plastic. (keep the 1/4" for the alum. extrusion.) This will stop the crazing. Acrylic expands and contracts a lot.They will last about 2 years. Thats what I'm giving mine, but they are cheap and easy to replace.

Attached Files:

8. mongo75

mongo75 Senior Member

The more I think about it, the better acrylic is looking. However 2 years is kinda short isn't it? But then again if it's even half as cheap as glass, then it'll be worth it. Just gotta be carefull cleaning them.

9. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

It's a trade off. I needed to dry-in the deck and I didn't have lots of money. Of course glass is the best way to go, but we all have to compromise -- I learned---I'm married.

10. naturewaterboy

naturewaterboy Steel Drum Tuner

There is some polycarbonate (tradename Lexan) that has a scratch resistant coating - kinda like a glass coating on the plastic - like expensive plastic lens sunglasses. It is available in different thicknesses. It is pricey compared to uncoated lexan if I remember right - but lexan holds up much better to UV than acrylic, and it is very, very difficult to crack. It's much easier to drill because of this. It also will stop bullets too.

11. mongo75

mongo75 Senior Member

Thanks waterboy!

And yes Jer, being married myself I feel your pain. I gotta sell stuff on ebay and recycle metal to pay for my boat, the wife gets pissed if I take too much outta the budget for the boat. Women just don't understand!!

12. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Yep, I should have said I only compromise my materials. There is no compromising with the wife.

13. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

There's some differences btw female's of the western and the third world. No explanations needed anymore:D

14. Arildo

Arildo Junior Member

Hi there (kinda late?)
    You should be very careful about using plexiglass (/lexan?) because they tend to crack over time! Acry is a much better choise - as they dont crack so easily. Plexiglass has a better protection against scratches, but you have to be extremely careful of the installation methode - using rubber all the way around, also in the screw holes. And never put any force to it, as it will for sure crack over short time...

15. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

Can you apply window tinting film over the acrylic to slow down the " crazing " that always seems to happen ?