Can I make my own throttle control w/ a potentiometer

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by the brain, Aug 19, 2017.

1. the brain

the brain Senior Member

Can I make my own throttle control w/ a potentiometer

I’m in the process of adding my new 2016 Honda 9.9HP kicker engine to my homemade dive platform (still under design and construction).

I want to electricalley control the throttle from inside pilot house.

Can I obtain the servo http://www.iboats.com/TrollMaster-Servo-Kit-TrollMaster/dm/view_id.887115?cm_mmc={cmids}

Example I won’t spend a dime at this iboat site.

Then use a potentiometer to control it like are the controllers work off resistanse correct?

Anyone here own a https://www.amazon.com/CONTROLLKING...0032N03P4/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

That can mearsure the resistance values at closed throttle then at WOT.

Thanks TB

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Not just with a potentiometer. You will need a regulated voltage supply. Otherwise, the signal will vary with the battery voltage and be erratic.

3. CDK

CDK retired engineer

There are some old posts here I wrote about DIY throttle and gearshift control.
    Now, in 2017, instead of making a circuit board, I would make my life easier and use an Arduino microcomputer and write the software for it.

4. the brain

the brain Senior Member

something like this?
    https://store.arduino.cc/usa/arduino-zero

I understand a little about controls writing a simplistic program for 1% increment of up/down throttle couldn't be difficult for a accomplished programer however assemble language was my worst subject in college.

mite be easier to purchase a con troll king. I'm not seeing used units so people must like them and keep them.

I have not looked much or even read the manual on the Honda 9.9 will it have a cruise control like can I set throttle say 20% and lock it to the 20%?
    TB

5. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

There are several options out there from just a limited throttle control to full auto pilot that will bolt right onto the motor. While it may cost a little more, it will come with all the brackets, cables and other items and will be a simple installation.

6. the brain

the brain Senior Member

I'm not quite ready to invest a small forture in electronics however I do plan a real sys. MFD/depth sounder/GPS module/external GPS antennaradar/auto pilot I'm researching this stuff.

I actualley just got my ray marine GPS/depth finder working now if I could only keep the RM transducer in the horizontale position it constantely wants to invert to vertical position.

topic subject?
    I have not looked much or even read the manual on the Honda 9.9 will it have a cruise control like can I set throttle say 20% and lock it to the 20%?

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You should read the manual and then ask questions. Boats don't have cruise control like cars. The throttles are set at either a fixed RPM or a fixed throttle setting; at least with a setup like yours. It is possible to link a GPS to the engine to maintain a fixed speed. However, it is not something you can cobble together. It will require CAN and a computer controlled engine.

8. the brain

the brain Senior Member

yes I should read the manual

if I remember correctly my 1997 Evinrude 25hp tiller had a cruise control.

at the end of the tiller there's a nob that can be tightened down at a desired RPM.

I never used it because I always had my hand on throttle.

now w/ the Honda I won't have my hand on throttle. Not sure if Honda has this nob?

doe's the 2016 honda have a computer?
    here's some specs on it
    2016 Honda 9.9 HP electric start long shaft

Model number is BF10DK3LHS four stroke

9.9 HP Honda Outboard, Model #BF10DK3LHS comes equipped with the long 20 inch shaft and the convenience of both manual easy start and electric start. You will find power to spare on the water plus extra battery power with this model. As with all Honda outboards, high tech design means a lightweight compact portable, that does not sacrifice quality or durability. You will be impressed with the fuel efficiency and the smooth quiet ride across the water delivered by this model.Honda Outboards come with the best warranty in the industry. A true 5 year warranty which is transferable.

· Reliable, efficient 4-stroke design

· Easy One Hand Starting

· True 5 Warranty

· Ultra Low 3 Star CARB Emissions

· 4-Front Corrosion Protection System - Fights the elements

· Available with Power Thrust Design (BFP) - better performance for heavy loads

· Reverse Exhaust Relief - increased manueverability (BFP models)

· Longer Tiller Handle - improved control

· PGM Ignition - optimal operation

· Engine Alert System - Keeps you informed

· Best in Class High Output Charging

· Lightweight Rounded Design

· Auto Start Enrichment - easy starts

· Pendulum Mount System - smooth operation

· EZ Steer Friction Control

· Shallow Water Drive

· Up Front Tiller Controls - convenient shifting

· Integrated Carrying Handle - easier transport

· Positive Lubrication for better durability

Attached Files:

9. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

Why are you trying to reinvent the wheel? Just get a remote outboard control kit and mount it. Get a sh one if your purse is tight.

10. the brain

the brain Senior Member

do you understand what a tiller is? if I wanted second remote outboard control I would have purchased a none tiller. I have second boat 15' deep V aluminum this 9.9 will power.

Also the kicker will be on portside to not interfer w/ transducers.
    TB

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  11. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

If all you want is a friction tensioner for the throttle then it's very simple even if it doesn't have one stock, which it probably does.

A piece of inner tube cut to the correct size can be slipped over the grip with part of it on the tiller handle.

This will hold the throttle grip on the correct position.

12. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

Yes I know what a tiller is, but I have decided it's not worth it to prolong this conversation. Good luck with whatever you are trying to do.