Can I make a steel boat unsinkable & self righting?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Byrd88, Jul 21, 2010.

1. dskira

dskira Previous Member

I like it, very interresting and quite a guy. I read Italian.
    Realy neat, thank you.
    Daniel

2. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Thank you Daniel.
    Actually, this is his second boat, the first one was made with similar principles. The second one is a product of both statistical analysis and his practical experience with the first boat. We are talking about a guy who has sailed all over the globe in the past decades.
    If you can read italian, I really recommend buying that book. It has several really interesting and mind-stimulating parts about safety-oriented boat design.

3. Ike

Ike Senior Member

another good book to look at Boatbuilding With Steel, Gilbert C. Klingel International Marine Publishing 1973

It's sort of the bible on building in steel. But learn the basics first. The Larsson and Eliasson book is excellent but you may be better off starting with something even more basic such as,
    The Nature of Boats: Insights and Esoterica for the Nautically Obsessed , By David Gerr, International Marine 1995

4. Byrd88

Byrd88 Junior Member

D... That boat is PERFECT!!! And no I do not speak Italian & would be forced to use a translator... that are all pretty much terrible at doing actual translation. You are obviously very good at speaking English, as I can tell you have not used a translator. I assume the book you've suggested has the plans to build such a boat?? I see you are in engineering & design yourself... How much do think someone in your field would charge me to build a boat to those specs? I'm sure the price will hurt, but seemingly worth it. And you offering to translate the main guidelines is amazingly generous of you, I thank you for any & all help!! You sincerely have found the perfect boat for my requirements... Thank you D!!

5. Byrd88

Byrd88 Junior Member

Thank you again Ike... Especially on the steel boat building book, I will certainly attempt to find that in the near future.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.