Can Chinese Junk actually circumnavigate?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Wellydeckhand, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Mayfly

Mayfly Previous Member

Attached Files:

2. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  3. Mayfly

Mayfly Previous Member

Trader 65 as junk sail vessel

That is a nice size to try with a sharpie design:).

But have a look at Bruce Robert (Trader 65 ) hull and ask for the lug sail version, foolproof and effortable.....:D see sample picture below.

Attached Files:

4. Mayfly

Mayfly Previous Member

New website for junk rig lover, must see, have info on junk rally this summer...:)

http://www.junkrig.com/

Miss it and live to regret.

1 person likes this.
  5. Mayfly

Mayfly Previous Member

Mac Naughton Coin Series

This series brings together a unique combination of traditional and modern elements and produces a range of boats optimized for offshore safety and comfort, ease of handling, excellent accommodations, and high performance of the type that is valuable to cruising people. Sheathed Strip construction is standard.

The distinguishing characteristics of the series are:

1.) Modern heavy-displacement hull designs of the full-keel type, for best comfort at sea, good steering characteristics under all conditions, and consistently high speed, especially in very light and very heavy air and on long passages.

2.) Chinese lug rig for full sail-handling capability (raising, lowering, reefing, unreefing, and sheet handling) from the helm, without touching the sail, optimum sail area under varying conditions without changing sails, consistently high performance, especially on passage, and low-tech simplicity and reliability.

3.) Flush deck design for maximum interior volume, ease of interior customization, versatile and roomy deck space, strength, and simplicity.

4.) Steering and sail handling from on deck or from the shelter of the enclosed steering station.

The boats are sized according to the number of people they are meant to accommodate. They are meant to treat their people very well indeed. They have enormous deck space for best enjoyment of good weather, generous interior accommodations for the cost of the vessel, and maximum comfort and safety when conditions deteriorate. They are very large for their length due to the flush deck. For instance the 30 foot Sovereign has as much room as a 36 to 40 foot vessel.

The combination of the easily handled rig, the wind vane and the enclosed steering station is virtually unavailable elsewhere. We feel they revolutionize the experience of long-term cruising and voyaging, by eliminating much of the physical discomfort and many of the common dangers.

It is very rare to find a line of live aboard voyaging yachts designed by a designer with as much live aboard experience as we have. Indeed these were designed while living aboard and cruising. Further because of our great affection for this particular series of designs we have gone back year after year adding details to the plans and refining elements as suggested by our own thoughts and experience and that of owners of the vessels. For us they continue to represent our concept of near ultimate voyaging yachts.

http://www.macnaughtongroup.com/farthing.htm

http://www.macnaughtongroup.com/shilling.htm

http://www.macnaughtongroup.com/penny.htm

http://www.macnaughtongroup.com/sovereig.htm

http://www.macnaughtongroup.com/crown.htm

Mayfly

1 person likes this.
  6. mariner 40

mariner 40 Junior Member

Junk rig

What about putting a junk rig on a light weight submarine. Attach the sail to the mast and rotate the mast from inside the boat! The snorkle can be inside the mast! No sunburn!!!

1 person likes this.
  7. Mayfly

Mayfly Previous Member

Can you post such a scientific design for us to view? You must be a master craft man to design such a brain killer idea. Please do not hesitate to post more of your idea for the sake of enlighten the world on your theory. I will keep in mind your great suggestion for future generation. Thank you, I feel better already:)

8. mariner 40

mariner 40 Junior Member

I have actually been thinking of building a model of the boat. When I get it completed, I will post some pictures.

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

A submarine has no initial form stability. What do you propose to keep it from heeling? Ballast is of some use but the rig would be submerged before it gets much power.

10. mariner 40

mariner 40 Junior Member

submarine junk

Here is the model I am starting with.

Attached Files:

11. Mayfly

Mayfly Previous Member

It look like the German suicide submarine to me...... 2 person with a attached tropedo with not enough fuel to get back.............. die anyway.:)

1 person likes this.
  12. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

Efficient Junk Equipment

Sorry, cant help myself from not posting this picture from Sean Herron on the thread, feel no offend but lighter junk humor.......... good inspiration

Attached Files:

13. Wellydeckhand

Attached Files:

14. Vega

Vega Senior Member

I have already talked about that voyage and the controversy about it.
    See post 5 of this thread;)

15. Wellydeckhand

The modern map from Nat Geo...........

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.