Can anyone identify this boat?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Flinky, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Flinky

Flinky New Member

I have the chance of getting this sailboat for free, but am unsure what kind it is. Can anyone help me identify it please and whether it would be worth taking on as a restoration project? (this will be my first)

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      371.9 KB
      Views:
  2. CutOnce

CutOnce Previous Member

Honestly? The cleaning products necessary are worth more than the boat. You are going to put hundreds into the trailer to be able to drag it off, and given the apparent condition, thousands into the boat. At the end of the day you'd have a slow, low value boat worth far less than your investment.

This is just my opinion, but I've got some history buying old dogs and failing to teach them new tricks.

--
    CutOnce

3. Flinky

Flinky New Member

CutOnce: Thanks for your advice, I am not sure what repairs are needed yet but I take it that it isn't as straight forward as a good pressure wash and a bottle of T-Cut in order to clean it?

4. Saildude

Saildude Junior Member

You need to be very careful with old neglected boats. I have friends that bought two different old neglected boats and it worked out OK, IF you did not count the maybe hundreds of hours cleaning. Mildew can get inside the boat and getting that out is very tough.

The neglected with green stuff growing all over the outside was all they could afford. So yes it worked for them but they literally had to take everything out of the inside of the boat all the way down to what ever is tabbed to the hull - then each piece had to be cleaned at least twice (years of no attention can really take a toll on stuff). Also things can sort of grow into the boat and even cleaning things will not fix it and major refinishing was required.

Caution Caution Caution. It works better if you have a place to store the boat other than a boat yard, lay days (daily storage) can kill any restoration project budget.

5. CutOnce

CutOnce Previous Member

Might be a Newbridge Venturer 22'. You never know how bad things are till you pay a professional to investigate. Core could be rotted, keel bolts could be gone, the inside could have had fresh water sitting in it for years. All of the above are completely unfixable on a sensible budget.

Even dragging to off and having a better look will cost more than I'd put on the table - because then you'd be liable for disposal fees. Save your money (and maybe a marriage).

--
    CutOnce

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Ballerina?

This might be it-bilge keels and a sheer line that is similar-hard to say for sure from that picture.

http://www.ballerinasailboat.info/

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

It looks like it could be a Tucker design Doug, but the port is all wrong for a Ballerina.

The photo makes it very difficult to tell the length, but it appears about 22'. I think it's more likely to be a Silhouette MK III, which is an ungraded version of Silhouette II (plywood built), built by Hurley in GRP (previous version built by Ferrier)

8. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

Why is it being given away? Could the cost of disposal be greater than it's value as scrap? If the keels are made with lead there may be some value there.
    Does it come with sails, motor, ground tackle, ect.?
    In addition to rotted cores and fasteners beware of the potential of toxic mold growing inside.
    It could be a viable project but you are on the right track asking questions before you commit yourself.
    Keep us posted.

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

-----------------
    I think you're right, Paul-especially looking very closely at the rudder and skeg. The Balerina has a transom hung rudder and OP's boat does not appear to. The keels look like slightly different angles but I'm afraid they have pushed into the hull on the original. Heres a picture compared with the original:
    click on image-

L=Sil ; R= original

Attached Files:

10. yasrkasem

yasrkasem New Member

Hi
    I think this boat is K20+ (Kingfisher UK Bilge keel) mostly looks like one i was thinking of purchase but I didn't.
    I read it's good built boats nice cabin design and good use of space.
    http://www.kyoa.org.uk/k20 technical.htm

11. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

ID Bilge Keel Boat

Westerly model?

I would add my mom's advice re some foods...if it does not smell right, leave it.

12. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Don't think any of those fit...the cabin isn't right especially the forward portlights for the Silhouette and the after part doesn't look like the Kingfisher's. Of course there could have been some cosmetic changes in the models over time.

13. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

ID Bilge Keel Boat

I think DL hit it right. Look closely at the hull deck seam and the windows forward...look identical...to me.

Still, I do not know if I would take it free...looks fairly messed.

14. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

==========
    You mean Paul got it right!

15. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

ID Bilge Keel Boat

Yes, my fail. Sorry...Paul dood it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.