how do you fix a hook in the back end of your boat????

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by toocanshan81, Mar 30, 2009.

1. toocanshan81

toocanshan81 Junior Member

i have got this boat for a project and i realized it had a hook in it from sitting in one spot on the trailer for many years. if anyone can help me with this problem it would be great... thanks toocan

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

This is a topic that has been covered several times, but in a nut shell, you have three choices, cut it out and fill it in, jack it back into place over a long amount of time so the 'glass will remember it's position or fill it in.

Filling it in is the usually choice, assuming it's possible to get a straight run this way. This is "body work" on a major level and is best left to some one who's had to level a surface or two in their day.

Often the transom drops down and the chines droop when this happens. No filling will fix this, especially on high speed hulls. It has to be cut and fixed, usually by repositioning the old hull pieces higher up and fairing it in.

Jacking requires a lot more time and skill then the average back yard repair person can handle, but the 'glass can be forced (slowly) back into position and held there until it either remembers the new set or has reinforcement applied to hold it there.

On a high speed hull like yours it's generally a death nail because it's expensive to have done. Without it, the boat will not be fast, but will "hobby horse" once you get to a certain speed, becoming dangerous if you try to push past this point.

Knowing where to cut is also a difficult thing for the shade tree guy. Anyone can have at it with a reciprocating saw, but where do you make the cuts. How much do you move the pieces, how do you hold them there when repositioned, etc. Like I said, it's usually a death nail, but it can be fixed if you really want to. The first step is to flip the hull over, belly up and support it well.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.