think this would work?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by marlinspk_sail, Mar 29, 2009.

1. marlinspk_sail

marlinspk_sail New Member

Hey all,
    I want to hear some feedback on this idea. (bear in mind JUST AN IDEA)

So i was thinking, it would be cool to have a plexi glass, or similar material, window below the waterline to see fish, reef, etc. The hull is fiberglass, and is not cored, so i was thinking of cutting out the section in the hull, possibly 3'x2' leaving a recess in the hull, where the plezi glass can bed in. Possibly bed it with 5200 or resin (bonging strength to plexi glass?) then, seal around the outside and inside seam of the window with fiberglass. I would prob use 1" plexi glass, about the same thickness of the hull.

_____ ______ Fiberglass cover over seam, on both sides

Hole cut out with slight overlap

Looking forward to hearing some ideas, thoughts and feedback on this idea.

2. marlinspk_sail

marlinspk_sail New Member

Sorry messed up the Image

_____ ______ Fiberglass cover over seam, on both sides

Window with slight overlap

Looking forward to hearing some ideas, thoughts and feedback on this idea.

3. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Do you know if 1" of plexiglass will have distortion ? My 1st thought was 1" plate with 1/8" plex on each side bonded to the plate. 2nd thought was thick auto glass 2 pieces laminated. I would design a garbage can lid cover
    to go over it and clamp down tight in case of breaking or cracking. Just some quick thoughts for you. I would want to box the opening up 2" where the glass went inside and anchored to a ledger then a top could fit over and clamp down. Also I would recess the class upward--not flush with the bottom. Basically an under water viewing box without the long sides.

4. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

There are many glass bottomed viewing boats around, no worries, not for high speed passage making but certainly OK for general bottom viewing.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.