Can Anyone Help? (19 ft 1960 Glasspar Club Mariner?)

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by LaDonna, Mar 26, 2014.

1. LaDonna

LaDonna Junior Member

:confused: We were given this boat last fall and dont know that much about it. We do know its a 19foot 1960 Glasspar and thats about it. We've been told that its a Club Mariner. Can anyone help?!

Attached Files:

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Don't know anything about the boat but the Merc engine is worth some bucks. Quite a lot of folks are looking for old Merc engines. What is tie HP? also, you can buy copies of old merc decals on line.
    Boat looks in good shape for its age.

3. LaDonna

LaDonna Junior Member

It seems to be in really good shape other then the wood needing some TLC. We believe its an 80HP. But we cant get it to start.

4. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

May I suggest google?

I'm sure there will be an owner's group/forum/etc where they'll have the info you need.

5. FMS

FMS Senior Member

Search the www.fiberglassics.com site. Fiberglassics is a great resource for 60s fiberglass boats.

Also try the Glasspar owners association site. Mr McKinney posted scans of the 1958 Mariner brochure there.
    http://www.classicglasspars.com/ind...126:1958-mariner&catid=101:mariner&Itemid=290

Two owners have posted photos in the gallery
    http://www.classicglasspars.com/index.php?option=com_igallery&view=category&igid=91&Itemid=597
    and http://www.classicglasspars.com/index.php?option=com_igallery&view=category&igid=88&Itemid=597

6. LaDonna

LaDonna Junior Member

I've Googled until I cant Google no more! lol! ;-) I think we've settled on it being a Club Mariner though. Just wish I could find some more info on it.

7. whatsleft

whatsleft New Member

It is definitely a Club Mariner, and it has the slightly more desirable normal keel. The earlier ones had an experimental modified keel designed to cut water and get on plane faster. Apparently, it added drag without really helping to get it on plane faster. I believe that it is the last (1960) year they built them. Fiberglassics has some information on them here:

http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Glasspar

Very cool boat and among some of the more desriable for those that are into the older classic cruisers. It was also among the first, if not the first, that offerred an outboard bracket. I own a '58 that I am in the process of renovating/restoring - actually just starting. Mine was in original condition as it came from the factory...pretty cool. Just as an FYI, it originally had a direct discharge head (toilet). If you intend to take it out on the water without big mods (which is my own intent ;) ) you'll need to disconnect the hose and, at a minimum, put a new short length of hose to the overboard outlet and then cap it off in some manner so no longer attached to head, otherwise could be fined by the CG if in a no discharge zone....which is most of the US coast. Let me know if have other questions. Not onhere a lot, but will check in periodically.

Oh, and it looks like it has the original rideguide steering system, an early rack and pinion by Mercury. Good system, but if been a while since used, I'd suggest greasing it. Fittings are on end near motor, and another on the tubular mount behind the steering wheel. If not in good shape, parts can be hard to come by, so may just want to replace. Good luck!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.