Can anyone find a more beautiful boat?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Verytricky, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

We had another Boat Launch Festival last weekend here in Silva Bay, some pretty (IMO) boats got wet for the first time....

A tiny (11'3") glued ply powerboat designed by myself and built by Barrett Fanuef.
    Sophiewet.jpg

A 15' Tammie Norrie design by Iain Oughtred built by a 3 person team at Silva Bay Shipyard School over the past 6 months.
    TNsailing.jpg

And a Nat Herreshoff designed Coquina cat-ketch also build by a three man team at SBSS.
    Coquinasailing.jpg

And finally a new Pogy design (hull #5) drawn by myself and built by Barefoot Wooden Boats.
    pogy5.jpg

2. Nordic Cat

Nordic Cat Senior Member

Great to see that at least some places still teach traditional boat building skills. Lovely boats, but even more important is the pride these youngsters have from actually building something that works and looks great as well.

I am sorry to say that these skills are becoming rarer in our modern societies, as traditional yards die off, or only exsist by doing repair work.

Good idea to launch them on the same day, so more people can see the great work.

Alan

3. afrhydro

afrhydro Senior Member

i think more people could do it

its just a time and space thing i thing
    i leared from doing repairs for some 30 years now
    always wanted to do it
    then finally just went a head and did it
    wala a complete one of a kind not another one like this one on the entire planet

Attached Files:

4. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

some friday fun:D

Attached Files:

5. Knut Sand

Knut Sand Senior Member

hmm, nice collections of boats in this thread. Manie; just to draw the attention away from the (goodlooking) green sailboat; what kind of boat is the other one on the starboard side? Just curious.

6. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Knut i dont know what they are but here is something for inspiration

Attached Files:

7. Chris Hall

Chris Hall Junior Member

Here's my favorite---the Thunderbird built in 1940 designed by John Hacker:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Greetings

Just got back from the dam after being stuck at home for 10 weeks while recuperating from my shoulder operation.

Going onto the water after all this time is like being in heaven, words could never describe that feeling of wellness and feeling alive.

Nikitu is going back to the sea (where she really belongs) and will probably start her journey going around early next year.

When you see a dodering old fool standing on the harbour crying his eyes out, dont worry its only me, saying goodbye.

Now that i am well i shall visit Wynand soon to go and pay my respects to another vesel that has crept into my heart and shed more tears.

God bless you all
    Nikitu is ready

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      421.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      416.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      286.1 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      286.4 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      363.8 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      192 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      340.7 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      397.4 KB
      Views:
  9. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Chris,

I agree with you, Thunderbird is flat out gorgeous. Also one of the few cases in which a modification actually improved the look of the original.

10. Minjai

Minjai New Member

Although I am a relatively new member and I have read a lot of the forum articles on this site without comment, I can't resist putting forward what is now clearly a nomination for the worlds most beautiful vessel.

My nomination is the world's oldest and grandest composite Clipper ship City of Adelaide currently under threat of 'Deconstruction' and the subject of a bid from my organisation Scarf - to rescue and restore her to her former glory.

Attached Files:

11. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

That's interesting, Minjai. Where is this vessel? UK? Australia? Is there a web site where we can find out more? What's the current condition of the vessel? I heard there was a fire or something aboard Cutty Sark -- is she also being repaired? Are both vessels slated to be dockside museums, or are there plans for either or both to sail again?

12. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

It's the Cohiba:

I have some more pictures here. It's not black anymore, but red and yellow. It's professionally build within the recent years, and I was close to buying it - however, my better half talked me out of it.

Btw. If I remember correctly, it has 34 square metres of sail area (366 square feet). Quite a lot, methinks.

Attached Files:

13. Minjai

Minjai New Member

City of Adelaide

Thanks for taking an interest. The vessel is currently located at Irvine in Scotland. The condition of the vessel's hull is deteriorating but still acknowledged as superior to that of the Cutty Sark even before the fire in May 2007. Cutty Sark was recently allocated £11m to renovate but not to anything like a seaworthy condition. Neither will sail again but serve an important role commemorating the UK's marine heritage.

Scarf is a group based in Sunderland UK where she was built in 1864 by William Pile. Arguably a more historically significant ship that the famous tea clipper she made 46 round trips as a passenger liner to Adelaide in Australia. We are trying to save her from deconstruction as ordered by the Scottish courts on application by Scottish Maritme Museum! However, we are running out of time and have maybe 8-10 months left.

Raising the international profile of the plight of this ship is paramount and any suggestions to acheiving that would be very welcome. More information is available on the web under various searches.

14. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

Pictures from a Finnish book?

15. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Haha, yup. I wasn't the one taking them, though – my finnish isn't exactly good enough to be looking for a book in that language, let alone read it. :p