How Junk Rigs Work, and why they are BETTER than RM

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by rael dobkins, Jun 3, 2020.

1. rael dobkins

rael dobkins Dreams come True, But only to Dreamers...

Proas have the least RM of all multies. That is their strength and the secret to all the advantages they have over other Multihulls... And that is the downfall of many that venture out into foreign waters.

A modern Cruising Proa is truly all about the Rig, fast and easy reefing are the solution, Adding RM on the other hand will only weaken the strongest multihull of all.

Here's what 8 years of proa design and building lead to. A short vid proves, there are many ways to skin a cat, this is our way. The LaSHuNK is a proven rig, it's safe and easy to handle in all conditions

Keep Shunting, Balkan Shipyards

2. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

I am no sailor, but I like your videos.

A little scared of the curved beam, but not smart enough to understand it. Oh. I get it, that curved poplar is more of a chafing/deck protector is all.

looking forward to the sailing

3. rael dobkins

Happy u like our stuff! Have u seen Rough Black Sea Hard Core Junk Rig Proa Sailing???

brendan gardam likes this.
  4. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

It might be nice if you could dry out that ride a bit. Some small splash rail on the tips perhaps.

I like how you said camera flattens the sea because I was thinking it.

5. rael dobkins

Yes, the best system I saw was Russel Brown's spray dodgers or what ever you would call them.... They were pieces of cloth going from the bows to the akas (beams) at deck level, imagine a catamaran safety net, but these were cloth, looked like at the widest point they were about 30 cm, lashed from the hull along the beams, then as they go forward they were long narrow triangles that ended at the bows I really like those and once we Build our ocean cruiser, it will have them.

For now, we are still experimenting and learning, though I do think that we have a pretty good recipe. All d best, and keep shunting, BSY

6. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

I think the spray item would help passengers. Your crew was really getting it!

7. rael dobkins

Very true, Jernia began cursing the waves... She never uses foul language the spray broke her. You are so correct I'm amazed, you are also the first and only to go deep into this problem, that truly is a problem. I hope to draw attention now as we micro cruise the Bulgarian cost in fair sprayless weather, in order to find a business partner... Then we start the HAVAYA 30 She will be equipped with full nine yards.

Here is a Working Model of the HAVAYA, this is a serious ocean cruiser.

Thanx for making me think about it more, it is a problem!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.