Can a Novel (and Useful) General Arrangement be Patented?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by TealTiger, Jun 24, 2014.

1. TealTiger

TealTiger Junior Member

Can a novel and useful General Arrangement be patented?
    Is it practical?
    Anyone know of any IP lawyers or firms that specialize in Marine/Naval/Nautical stuff?
    Any thoughts would be appreciate.
    Thank you.

2. portacruise

portacruise Senior Member

FWIW.

PC

3. Poida

Poida Senior Member

I have no idea on Patents etc. but I have worked in businesses involved with inventors.

I also read a book written by Victor Kiam (I hope that is how you spell his surname) the marketing guru. The man who said, "I bought a Remington shaver and liked it so much, I bought the company."

He had the same experience that I have witnessed with inventions.

It was a damn good idea, but nobody wanted it.

Surveys are useless because what people say they want and what people say they will do, in the practical world they will neither want nor do.

Or there is one small thing that hasn't been thought of, that prevents its acceptance.

Before you spend any money patenting something, make sure you have thought of everything, and I mean everything that might inhibit its sale.

Example: You may have designed a system for ropes for tying boats up to a dock, based on the retractable cord system as used in vacuum cleaners.

Pull the rope out tie your boat up and when you leave untie the rope, give it a tug and it automatically retracts. What a brilliant idea, but, I bet it wouldn't sell.

Why, it takes away the boaties ritual of untying the rope, wrapping it in a loop and tossing it on the deck, acting like everyone in the world is watching him go through his macho ritual.

Don't patent something that people can easily make themselves, gee that's a good idea, I'll make one, or something that can be changed slightly so it's not the same as yours. You can patent the concept which costs a fortune.

Poida

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  4. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

In a word, No.

5. TealTiger

TealTiger Junior Member

Hi Poida,
    I appreciate your input.
    Thank you.

6. TealTiger

TealTiger Junior Member

Hi Ad Hoc,
    I appreciate your input.
    Thank you.

7. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

The American Patent system is unique in the world in that you must be able to prove you came up with the novel idea first and put the idea into practice if you expect a successful patent aplication. A brief statement.

8. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I'm curious, what does " General Arrangement" mean?

9. NavalSArtichoke

NavalSArtichoke Senior Member

It's not clear the OP wanted to file for a US patent since his bio lists him living near Toronto.

There is no requirement that a patentable idea or invention be put into practice before applying for a US patent. The US Patent office in the early days required a model of an invention to be submitted for review along with the application for patent, but that requirement has long since been rescinded. The patent application must include a full description of the idea or mechanism to be patented, along with a statement of claims concerning its novelty, function, etc.

This website has more information about the patent process in the US:

http://www.uspto.gov/patents/resources/general_info_concerning_patents.jsp#heading-4

10. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

A GA is little more then a suggest layout sketch, which will likely change with masses calculations and other concerns, during the design spiral, so not much "intellectual property" to protect. Unless a clever and unique "device" is employed in the GA, which a separate and specific patent is required to protect, you really are looking at a copyright, instead.

A copyright will offer some protection, if you have something quite unique about the GA, though frankly it would have to be very unique, to gain the copyright. With this in hand, you can exspect once in production and on the market, if the protected idea(s) are "cool" enough, they'll be copied by every manufacture, with slight changes or "improvements", to avoid infringement issues. Remember that wing keel idea the Australia II team used, in the mid 80's to take the America's Cup? Within a few years, just about every production sailboat sported a wing of some sort, so this type of protection is dubious at best.

11. TealTiger

TealTiger Junior Member

Hi tom kane,
    I appreciate your input.
    Thank you.

12. TealTiger

TealTiger Junior Member

Hi SamSam,
    A General Arrangement is essentially the interior accommodations and mechanical spaces of a boat in an approximate hull shape. It doesn’t include things like construction details, plumbing, wiring, etc. Thanks for asking.

13. TealTiger

TealTiger Junior Member

Hi NavalSArtichoke,
    I appreciate your input and clarifications.
    Thank you.

14. TealTiger

TealTiger Junior Member

Hi PAR,
    I appreciate your input and suggestion.
    Indeed a copyright as a sculptural, or better yet, an architectural work is a good idea.
    Thank you.

15. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Copyright for something as a sculptural or architectural work only applies to the appearance, not the function.

A general arrangement drawing is covered by copyright, but the general arrangement itself is not. Making an unauthorized copy of a drawing may infringe copyright, making a copy of a boat does not.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.