Can a Marine Battery be too big?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by HartfordDan, Aug 1, 2006.

1. HartfordDan

HartfordDan New Member

The marine battery that came with my 140 hp MercCruiser engine had 600 CCA when I bought the boat used (1986 Sea Ray Seville 19'). About three years ago I replaced that battery with a slightly smaller Sears Marine battery ( I think it had 550 CCA ). The battery holds a charge but I don't think I'm getting enough amps to start the engine every time. Would it be okay to use a marine battery with 625 or 650 CCA's ?

2. Jason Connellee

Jason Connellee Junior Member

Yes. Hope this helps.

3. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Buy as large a CCA rating as you can afford. Typically people add various things to their boats such as radios, depth finders, gps and so on and soon that 600 CCA battery is no longer adequate.

4. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

A big battery can always power small loads. A small battery can't power big loads though. Buy the highest rated battery you can afford, that still fits in your battery box.

5. stonebreaker

stonebreaker Senior Member

Did you check all your connections yet, load test the battery, etc. etc.? Or are you just starting to try and figure out what's wrong?

6. danstar

danstar New Member

alternator may be too small

and thus your battery may be undercharged

what kind of charging device do you have ?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.