Coupling

Discussion in 'Jet Drives' started by brianR, Sep 2, 2008.

1. brianR

brianR New Member

Hi im looking for advice on coupling a castoldi no5 jet unit to a v6 ford its possibly a 2.4 l. Both are on a 17 ft boat i was doing up.But now the shells on the crankshaft are done so to repair this i must remove the engine. When i enquired as to how difficuit it would be to couple the two together again i was told by two different boat men they would nt touch it with a barge pole. Would i be better just to call it a day and sell the jet unit As the boat itself needs work. Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Castoldi jets have been sold with close coupling to keep the drive train as short as possible. A very debatable construction involving high stress load on the bearings. The use of a universal shaft is a much better solution but requires approx. 180 mm so the engine must be moved forward. The construction of the boat determines the possibility to do so. Lancing Marine can help you with drawings and parts.

3. brianR

brianR New Member

Thank you for your help. I was on the Lancing site an it is very useful. If i can get away with it ill use the uni shaft, but as im an novice in this area it still sounds like a massive undertaking. ill prob give it a go. Its a long cold winter ahead and it will give me something to do.