Can a Carbon Fiber/Kevlar Hull be made bullet Proof?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by PsychicWarrior, Nov 12, 2010.

1. viking north

viking north VINLAND

In reply to the origional question, stopping a 9mm. round why go to kevlar build the hull out of concrete, much cheaper, can be customized to resist a much heavier round (higher foot pounds non armour piercing) than a 9mm. The concrete itself is very energy absorbing and the steel mesh holds it all together. By testing say 1 square foot pieces of varying thickness and layers of steel mesh it would be interesting to see the results. I bet they would surprise alot of experts. Being ex military and an amature military historian, nothing would surprise me on the poor quality, poorly tested, overrated, and just downright dangerious materials and supplies provided to the military. The greed, kickbacks and downright corruption of military supply contractors has been going on from the days of the British Empire, Rotten casts of food and water, Black powder so poor that the cannon balls jammed in the gun barrels, Uniforms, hell theres a British light bulb turning on to the benifit of the Patriots, red tunics in a green forest. How would you like to have been wearing one of those camouflage outfits. I think in general the militarys were fairley well equipped in the first world war especially so after a Newfoundland Doctor invented the gas mask, gas being the biggest mass killer of soldiers and horses in the trenches.(yes they had gas masks for the horses) The second world war supplies and machinery while inferior to the Axis were good quality and once the ball got rolling were always available in large quanities. In the the Korean war the supplies and machinery were superior but poorely clothed soldiers faced 10 to 1 odds in enemy manpower and achieved a stalemate which eventually was negoiated into a cease fire. The Vietnam conflict saw an overabundance of much superior supplies and machinery(m16 excluded) in which too much dependance was placed on technology and not on what the footsoldier had to say about getting the job done. Poor leadership at the top and too many interfering politicions got alot of good men killed, this is in my mind worst than being poorley equipped. In the present conflicts, overall supplies and materials seem to be up to fairley good standards with some glitches but i have an errey feeling like Vietnam there is not full engagement, the footsoldier is again being hamstrung thru being politically correct with a very similar enemy he faced in vietnam, ak47s, booby trap pungy sticks, caves, and who is the enemy, they all look and dress the same, all this technology and again today they face ak47s, caves, booby traps in the form of old Russian tank and artillery shells modified into roadside bombs replacing pungy sticks.

1 person likes this.
  2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Excellent post. Boobs in politics should never tell the generals how to run the war. That is where the problem lay.

3. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I'm just going to guess that adding that much weight could be dangerous.

Back to some non-vest types of body armor - as reference.

VIDEO
    Ballistic Knee Guard Small-Arms Fire Test: Impacts
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjcKxXofXYw

Face protection video: .44 MAG TEST
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URcKpNqPIfY&feature=related

VIDEO
    PASGT Ballistic Helmet vs MP5/SD 9mm
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyoWH2FJ3lU&feature=related

4. breschau

breschau Junior Member

This is a fun page that is not about kevlar. It is about the relative penetration power of bullets, as this post has derailed enough I dont think it will hurt.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/

5. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Thanks Hoyt, Now i think after 4 plus pages of input from forum members it's time for Phychicwarrior to give us a little hint on Why? Do you plan on sailing thru some rough areas or making incognito round trips further south or has this to do with bullet proofing custom automobile bodies. I'm sure like alot of the members we visualize all kinds of applications. Come on fess up (smiley face) Geo.

6. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Perhaps it would be best to only re-inforce critical areas of the boat; personel, machinery, electronics, etc., rather than the whole structure. Keep lots of patches and/or wine corks and a hammer handy.:D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.