calculations for bow types

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jake wilson, Dec 1, 2020.

1. jake wilson

jake wilson Junior Member

Hello ... I'm designing a model of motor yacht. I have made a model out of the dimensions and checked it displacement as well. Now I'm planning to make different bow forms to suit the model. So I would like to know if there are any particular calculation for bulbows bow. I'm planning to model axe bow, flared bow and x bow.

2. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Calculations of what?

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Bulbous bows are designed for a narrow speed range. They are usually not used on yachts because the speed changes a lot. Maybe yachts that travel very long distances (crossing oceans) on a regular basis could be a good candidates. What are you calculating?

Ilan Voyager and Olav like this.
  4. Olav

Olav naval architect

jake wilson,

please see attached PDF for some design guidelines for bulbous bows. For sure not the ultimate stuff on that topic but it might get you somewhere in the right ballpark though.

Also I second gonzo's statement: Bulbs can backfire easily, not only when used outside their intended speed range, but also with changing draught and trim of the vessel.

Attached Files:

5. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I always thought that the bow bulb was designed to be most effective at a certain displacement (not speed) of the ship. You always learn something new.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.