Nauticat 515 stability curve

Discussion in 'Stability' started by Bjarne Mikkelsen, Jan 3, 2022.

1. Bjarne Mikkelsen

Bjarne Mikkelsen New Member

Hi,
    Where to find stability curve for a Nauticat 515 ?
    I also need velocity polar plots - can anyone provide such charts or guide me in the right direction where to find them. Any assistance is highly appreciated.

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Welcome to the Forum Bjarne.
    Re a stability curve, have you tried contacting the Builders, to see if they might release information like this to you?

Why do you need the stability curve and the velocity polar plots - or are these just for your own interest, to better understand your boat?

3. Bjarne Mikkelsen

Hi Banjansailor
    The builder Nauticat Yachts OY (in Finland) went down few years ago due to the global financial crisis and their web-site is closed.
    I am currently sailing a Nauticat 32 and looking something bigger and rather keen on the Nauticat 515, but other similar alternatives are in play.
    To compare the various options I would like to study the stability curve and polar plot (I am mechanical engineer an knows well about forces, moments, relative vs absolute wind etc. :)).

4. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Oh dear, that is sad news re how Nauticat are no longer in business. :(

The Nauticat 515 is a very fine looking vessel - I saved this side profile drawing from SailboatData.com - NAUTICAT 515 Sailboat https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/nauticat-515

Nauticat 515 side profile.jpeg

They note that her designer is Kaj Gustafsson who was one of the directors of Nauticat - if you could track him down, he might be able to give you some stability info? Although I had a look on Facebook, and there are a lot of Kaj Gustafsson's on there......

5. Bjarne Mikkelsen

Thanks Bajansailor, I will try to locate Kaj Gustafsson.

6. Dolfiman

Dolfiman Senior Member

7. Bjarne Mikkelsen

Thanks Dolfiman,
    this document contains a lot of good information.
    your effort is highly appreciated.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.