Wooden Cabin Cruiser Designs, 2/4-berth

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Lefroy, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Lefroy

Lefroy New Member

Hello!

I have just joined this group and I am hoping to get some advice on designs for a small, wooden cabin cruiser.

I live on the east coast of China and want a boat which can be used for sea fishing and travelling around the coast. I know nothing about boat designs so I thought I would ask the experts.

I plan to get the boat built by a Chinese boat builder and I want to aim for simplicity and functionality, rather than anything too extravagant. I want to try and keep the cost down, which is why I was planning to use wood, but perhaps I am mistaken. I was also thinking that a design based on an outboard motor would be cheaper but (as I have mentioned once or twice) I know nothing about boat design!

All input is greatly received and I plan to keep a photographic record of the build, with written updates of timing and cost, for anyone who is interested in the prices and quality of wooden boat building here in the East!

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome aboard Lefroy and what length are you thinking will satisfy your needs? I'd say 7 meters is about as short as you'd want for off shore work and a reasonable cabin. You can get by with less, but it depends on what you expect for cabin accommodations.
    [​IMG]
    This is one of my designs and an 8 meter boat. She's built in plywood and designed for cold water cruising. Her pilothouse is fully inclosed for protection from the elements and has full standing headroom (1.9 m), including the head.

This is just one of hundreds of designs available in this general size range.

3. Lefroy

Lefroy New Member

Hi PAR

Thank you for your quick response. This looks about perfect for what I had in mind. Do you have any pictures of completed builds?

4. BYDE

BYDE Junior Member

Hello Lefroy,

where do you live exactly?
    I'm an italian yacht designer based in Shanghai, but I'm also in Hangzhou a 10ish days per month usually.
    If you're interested in a custom design, we can talk about it and I can show you some of my former designs (we can meet or I can send you by email). With no commitment clearly, I'm always glad to talk about boats!
    I also have contacts with some local boat builders (I don't know if you already found one), in case that you'd like to receive a quotation of the costs before you start. I can bargain for you ;)
    If you get the design from somebody else, I can provide quality control and project management at the boatyard (this mainly in Shanghai-Zhejiang-Jiangsu area though); the chinese boatyards aren't so bad if there's someone who checks them and the materials from time to time.

You can contact me by email if you're interested, I may not check the forum every day.
    Regards
    BYDE

5. Lefroy

Lefroy New Member

Hi BYDE

I am working in Rizhao (Shandong province) at the moment and right now I am just trying to get an idea of what it would cost to have a small 2-berth boat built that I could use for fishing and short coastal trips.

So far all of the prices seem to be a little on the steep side so I am beginning to wonder if it would be easier to get an old, used cruiser from the UK, pay the shipping and tidy her up again before putting her in the water over here.

Used boats here seem to be non-existent and all the companies who I have spoken to are thinking westerner = western prices, which doesn't really work on a Chinese teacher's salary.

What do you think would be the cost for a floating shell that I could add an outboard to and fit the interior at a later date?

Obviously I would prefer a complete build but my budget at the moment is only about $4,000. Is it possible to start a project with this sum or should I be saving up for summer next year?!

Remember, my criteria are simply: seaworthy and functional.

6. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

7. BYDE

BYDE Junior Member

Which prices did you ask? For a new GRP series boat or for your custom build? As almost everything in China, the initial price can be bargained down a bit.

I think that the old cruiser from UK would be more expensive, though obviously it depends on the price of the used boat. Even considering a small boat (beam < ~8') that could be placed in a container, the shippment costs are several thousands $. Plus the import duties, which I don't know exactly what they are, but quite high.
    Yes used boats are basically non-existent in (mainland) China, and that is so because new boats are also nearly non-existent! :)

For a cheaper alternative than buying in UK, I would suggest to have a look at the Hong Kong market (or maybe Taiwan), where you may find a larger choice and the shipping costs would be lower.

Just for the shell (hull and superstructure, nothing else) your budget looks proportioned to the costs of materials and labour. The issue I see is that it's a very small project (profit) so it may be difficult to find a boatyard interested. But not impossible.
    I didn't understand if you plan to build the interiors by yourself or have it done by a boatyard, but at a later stage.

- if you plan to build the interiors by yourself, then I would say build it all by yourself. It's a small boat and building with plywood panels is really easy and quick if you have some basic wood-working skills (especially if you can find somebody to help you). Me (or any other designer of your choice) would help you and guide you through the process.
    Moreover there are some fixed costs (e.g. tools, place where to work), which are almost the same whether you build the interiors only or all the boat.

- if you plan to have the interiors built by a boatyard at a later stage, then I'd say it's better to wait and do everything together once you have the budget for it. For several reasons, like the fact that with a bigger project you can get it at a proportionally lower price.

The same for the engine, which is a main cost and without it you can't use the boat. So I would wait at least until your initial budget does include that too.

8. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Yes, Lefroy, I have pictures. Contact me by email (click on my name) and we can discuss your options.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.