Max Pitch and Roll rate

Discussion in 'Stability' started by JJULNSKY, Mar 6, 2016.

1. JJULNSKY

JJULNSKY New Member

Hello,
    I am looking for some information and/or design rules regarding the max pitch and roll rate (degree per second) that would be acceptable for US certification of a +41ft boat passenger cruise boat. I know that some military ships don't have any anti-roll systems and that most of the new generation cruise ship have several anti-roll systems.
    Is there any standard that I could get that would provide some data ?

Thanks a lot for you help !
    Julien

2. NavalSArtichoke

NavalSArtichoke Senior Member

There's nothing in the CFR or the USCG Desk Drawer that I am aware of which specifies a maximum pitch or roll rate for a passenger craft. The smaller the boat, the greater the motions, so the master must use his judgment about the sea conditions before taking a load of passengers out.

Although such a small boat would not normally be classed, ABS publishes a Guide to Passenger Comfort on Ships (#103), which publication may be downloaded for free from www.eagle.org. This guide specifies acceptable values of accelerations so as not to induce motion sickness in passengers.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.