Jet Drive Question

Discussion in 'Jet Drives' started by abengaard, Apr 30, 2009.

1. abengaard

abengaard New Member

I'm a newbie to jet drives, recently got a 22' wooldridge aluminum sled powered with a 260hp Mercruiser/SBC with a Hamilton 753 pump. Running light, just me and 40 gallons of fuel the engine will only turn 3000 rpm wot. The engine and pump have 10 hours of use since rebuilt, the engine has good compression and seems to run strong. The throttle linkage has full swing, ignition timing is on etc...
    If this were a prop drive I'd re-pitch until the engine would meet specified wot rpms, which in this case are 4200-4400 rpm. Is the 3000 rpm range typical with jets or should I do something to bring up the wot rpms? Thanks in advance.

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Hi abengaard,

Generally speaking, an engine won't be happy if it's overloaded. If the engine's supposed to run 4200-4400 at wide open, that's what the jet should let it get to. A properly set up jet drive should not be sensitive to load state like a prop drive is (it is for this reason that high-speed ferry owners love jets); they should reach roughly the same full-throttle rpm whether the boat is running heavy or light.

I'm not a jet expert, but I have heard of some modifications that can be made to the impeller to better match the drive and the engine. Perhaps some of our local jet experts can chime in with what would be in order for you.

3. abengaard

abengaard New Member

Matt,
    Thanks for the reply, I suspected as much. So, can the impellers be repitched or machined to ease load on the engine? Also, I've been told but haven't been able to confirm that Kodiak Jet parts may be interchangeable with the 753?
    Alan Bengaard

4. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

abengaard

The 3000RPM max you get, is that from standing start and then opening up the throttles from min to max instantly?, in an attempt to accelerate away quickly....or is it a slow gradual increase in RPM from 0 to 3000?

5. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

How high will the engine rpm go when not engaged to the jet? will it rev up fast?

6. abengaard

abengaard New Member

The engine will go from idle to 3000 rpm quickly, there isn't a hesitation when the throttle is firewalled, but the 3000 rpm is all it will do. The boat jumps on step in about two boat lengths and I would estimate speed at about 30 mph, haven't used a gps yet. Have had the boat on flat water and wide open throttle for a distance and 3000 rpm is all it will push.
    I haven't unbolted the pump coupling yet, may give it a try this weekend, though I'm sure the engine will rev freely.

7. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

as already noted, my next question was to be, depending upon the arrangement, either clutch out or with 'zero' thrust setting on the jet, open up the throttle. You should go past 3000 rpm. If not, sounds like engine issues.

It could well be, since a rebuild, that the engine had a problem of sorts and has been limited to 3000 rpm owing to "some reasons" with the engine, probably cost related.

8. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

I agree with the above it is the engine not the jet. It should be easy to find the problem with electronic testing. Just MAYBE was a govenor installed????? or a limiting chip?? What year is the boat?

9. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

If the boat is intended for whitewater use it may have a rev-limiter for protection although it seems to be kicking in early.

Rick W

10. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

You may find that as the motor has been re built that the chip has been set to limit the revs until it has done a certain number of hours or until its taken back for its firt service...check with the re builder of the engine ...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.