airfoil shapes and dimensions

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by strangeideas, Apr 20, 2015.

1. strangeideas

strangeideas New Member

I would like to know the optimal air foil shapes and dimensions for the following hypothetical sailing vessels.

1. One man iceboat with total weight of 300 lbs. or less.

2. 14-18 sailing catamaran with total weight of 600 lbs. or less

3. 14-18 sailing monohull with total weight of 600 lbs. or less

Any ideas or information related to this inquiry would be appreciated.
    Thank you.

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Really you have strange ideas. I am not a designer of sailboats but do you believe that with only those data, one can design the most suitable sail for a sailboat?

3. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Strangeideas, Those questions are equivalent to asking; how long is a piece of string?

There are so many variations in boats that an optimum sail design can not possibly suit them all. For example a small Crosby catboat would use a vastly different sail than something like a 49er or a 505. Same goes for cats.

If you want to see what is state of the art, then hang around some racing venues and see what the competitors are using. Seeing is believing and you can be fairly certain that serious racer dudes will have the best sails that can be had. They'll mortgage the farm in order to get those sails if they find it necessary.

4. frogger1225

frogger1225 Junior Member

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/flapping-inverting-foil-patent-pending-51359.html

The answer is well put by messabout. In my simple view, a sail generates vortices which in turn creates resistance which in turn creates power transfer. The formation of the vortices is crucial becomes if not formed correctly it can create negative results. I put this question similar to finding one parachute that will work for a human, an ultralight, a cessna, and finally the apollo command modules on either calm or windy days.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.