Calculate Catamaran Resistance in Maxsurf

Discussion in 'Software' started by papiylon, Jan 11, 2017.

1. papiylon

papiylon New Member

Hi all,
    I am currently designing a small recreational catamaran for a school project using Maxsurf. I have both of my hulls in the Resistance module and I am looking to obtain the graph of the resistance vs. the speed.

However, there are many analysis there and I was wondering which method should I select ( Analysis --> Methods...) to obtain the most accurate results? I tried calculating it by hand, but I do not have the required information for the wave resistance.

Cheers,

Rosalie

2. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Rosalie

What is the length-displacement ratio (LD) of your design?

3. papiylon

papiylon New Member

Its made for a user of 115 kg and the two hulls has a lenght of 4.5m ... if I am not mistaken, the ratio is 37.5 !?

4. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Rosalie

No, the displacement is to the power of 1/3.

So your L/D ratio is 9.3. This means it is very slender, so if you select a method that uses long slender body theory, like the series 64. I don't have maxsurf, so I'm not sure what methods of analysis are available.

5. Rastapop

Rastapop Naval Architect

You will want to use the "Slender Body" method in Maxsurf.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.