No 30 ft + sailing garveys?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by kayaker50, Jan 4, 2010.

1. kayaker50

kayaker50 Junior Member

I'm thinking a 30 foot garvey would provide more cabin space than a similar size sharpie, but a couple of days of prowling the net hasn't produced a single design.
    1) is there a compelling reason not to build a garvey?
    2) can anyone direct me to a source of plans?
    Thanks, Chip.

2. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

If a Garvey is a scow from New Jersey....how about this? Harry II is 30' by 8' 6" and draws approximately 12" with the boards up, designed for plywood construction.

Harry2green01.jpg

Harry2green02.jpg

Harry2green04.jpg

3. narwhal

narwhal Junior Member

Tad, that design resembles a Chinese coastal junk with its bow transom. All it needs is a pair of eyes painted on the sides up at the bow.

4. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

What is the exact definition of a garvey? The only one I can find - "the chines don't meet at the stem" - is also a good description of a pram. I have a book somewhere with several "garvey" plans - none remotely close to 30' - which all have transom bows with the flat bottom transitioned into the transom by a radius instead of a chine as in a regular pram.

5. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

In American Small Sailing Craft Howard Chapelle writes extensively about Garvey's. He uses the word interchangeably with scow, garvey connotes just a small scow from New Jersey (and very specific areas of NJ).

6. kayaker50

kayaker50 Junior Member

Thanks for the drawing, Tad.
    My total knowlege of garveys is Chapelle's American Small Sailing Craft. He has lines for a 26 footer, cat-ketch rigged.
    He describes it as an example of a scow that was refined locally. From his drawings, I assume a garvey to be:
    flat bottomed
    transom stern
    low freebord
    centerboard
    the rocker forward is exagerated such that the bottom blends into the bow in a graceful curve. The drawings seem to indicate there is no real transom bow, but rather the bottom blends into the bow.
    I've also read somewhere that the presence of the garvey in Jersey prevented the sharpie from widespread adoption there since they are both simple workboats.
    Like the sharpie, it seems several hull forms wear the name that don't fit the classic description.
    As I said, I'm thinking about a garvey as a competitor to the sharpie because it may offer more cabin space which is a weak point of the sharpie. If that were the case though, you'd think they would be more popular. But sharpies seem to be a dime a dozen with garvey's all but extinct.
    Chip.

1 person likes this.
  7. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Thank you K50 for a good description of the garvey, that is precisely what I see in the book I have. The curved bow transom would exhibit pounding than a pram and perhaps have greater strength. For a boat built with a cross-planked bottom it would be easy to implement, just the slight complication of bevelling the planks at the bow transition, but with ply construction the pram and skiff forms would be easier to build and perhaps this explains the relative rarity of the garvey.

8. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

I think of a garvey as a scow/pram type hull designed for either sail or more commonly power. I've seen plans for power garveys built of plywood. One of the magazines dedicated to small boats had an article and I think plans for a small power garvey 15 years back or so. Small Boat Journal or something similar. I think I recall mention of power garveys in Natl. Fisherman magazine but that would have been 20 yrs back or further. Not much help I imagine but somewhere they are available. Check out some of the books by John Gardner.

9. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Below is a typical sailing garvey from Chapelle. Note the flat bottom is carried right up to the deck forward.... He states (writing in 1951) that no boats of this type are currently sailing. There's a reason for that...I can see they might be okay in flat water...but these boats would be horrible in any sea...that square entry will stop you dead.

Modern garvey's are all planing powerboats, and they all have some vee in the forward sections. My sailing scow above also has lots of vee in her forward sections to create a finer entry.

Chapellegarvey.jpg

10. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss sailing garveys. Chapelle commented that sharpies never took hold in the Barnegat Bay area, because they already had garveys. I assume there's a little bit of rough water in the area?

I'd give a quote directly from his book, but it's in my pickup and it's cold outside...by California standards and the way I'm dressed, anyway....:)

11. kayaker50

kayaker50 Junior Member

12. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

Tad, that remind me of Bolger's AS29 blended with a little Maurice Griffiths .

13. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

most of his designs are old designs adapted to ply construction .