CAD vs. Paper

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by dreamer, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Paul No Boat

Paul No Boat Junior Member

Um Dreamer, when I said PC's I should have said "computers" as I was using that as a generic term not a statement of brand allegiance. I am guessing from your buzz words you have had a good bit of prepress experience.

The exact evolution of the technology is not always known to the workers. I can just tell you as a pressman those electronically produced plates were sure a lot easier to fit and register than the old darkroom plates. But the downside was that when plate replacement was reduced from 3 hours to 10 minutes we sure lost a lot of Gin Rummy time out at the press.

"Have we got an operation code for this?"

and since I am a veteran of almost every technology debate we are heading into I will ask the coverall question.

Which is better? A digital picture of a cat eating an apple in a Ford or a film picture of a dog eating an orange in a chevy?

2. dreamer

dreamer Soñadora

lol

here's something about that which can bring it back around to the original post.

What we started to notice with the digital print stuff was that the acceptable quality level went down. To be more specific, what really happened was that press guys (like you I presume ;)) who were used to proofing in a light box noticed inacuracies in the digital prints that were difficult to control. However, when the final product was shown to the end consumer, they had no clue about these subtle differences. As pressmen with their keen eyes diminished in numbers, acceptable quality became high quality. In fact, todays digital printers are simply freaking amazing. I have an Epson 4000 in my office and the prints that come off that thing are jaw-dropping (yes I have a D5000 proofing lamp too ;)). And it literally takes one click from the mouse.

Point is, while it may be true that CAD in its early days was a challenge and hand drawings were considered 'high quality' by those in the biz, the consumer has the final say and they pretty much say yes since they don't know better. Since they're the ones paying the bills, the industry has no choice but to adapt and refine.

Consider where we are now. In 20 years where will it be? It's going to be freakin' amazing IMNSHO.

3. Paul No Boat

I concur Dreamer.

I remember as I was learning my craft that I commented to one of the senior pressmen that our overall quality was diminishing. Being a pretty smart experienced guy he pointed out that "Those flaws were always there, you are just seeing them now"

Printing like so many other industries is evolving to 1's and 0's. But don't underestimate the creativity of the craftsmen who will make the most of whatever tool he is given to work with.

I was in magazine publishing and we were amazed after attending the Indy 500 on a Saturday to go into work Monday night and find that 1 million signatures covering the story had already been run and headed to bindery.
    I ran part of Sports Illustrated.

With todays digital transmission a cameraman is filming the race and still captures are chosen and go to press within seconds.
    Ever wonder how they are already selling the special edition of the paper as you leave an event?

Yer right what is coming in is not only amazing, some of it downright scary. But I look at my 4 year old granddaughter and how fast she accepts and processes knowlege and realize it will be mundane to her. She already whips my butt at puzzles.

4. Knut Sand

Knut Sand Senior Member

Italian design... Me too....

Oh, a SW person? (Me to, own licence...).

I'd like to arrest you on one phrase here: "Better even than the stuff I used when teaching Autodesk products."

THAT doesnt take much... IMNSHO....

I've done my time on the table, when I started as an engineer, another one said; "watch out, remember "the table holds" (as in card playing). What he meant its difficult to change direction on your work path. I'll agree with him, it's always there in the back of my mind.

I drafted first on a table, Nike fundament, parallel arm. Moved on up to Motoh slide arm, magnetic support at the bottom. Later 2D, Medusa/ vaxstation, Autocad 2D, some pipe programs, some stress programs... Sesam64... Autocad early 3 D... Man that sucked...

Then I was reluctantly sent on a training course on Solid Works, they has discovered that I actually understood drawings... I'd wanted more the inspection job in Singapore they had.... But ok, the emperors new clothes I thought, they're the ones paying for the ball.

I saw the light (eh sign...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9W9VdKt1WI )

First day, laid back, wondering if I'd managed to skip out for some downhill skiing.
    second day, they got my attention...
    Third day, instruction ended around 1600 I continued playing with the program, didn't go to the hotel until the janitor came around to lock up.
    For the rest of that week; repeat day 3...

Solid Works was the first really "intuitive" program that I experienced, some are better nowadays, some are worse, much worse. I'd assume that in a short week or two, most will may be able to pull out simple drawings. Thats not bad. Productive in a short time, errors made faster than you can imagine (Ok I'll stretch that part just a little... forgetting that the same part is used in a zillion other sub assys...)

It's all about the Knack...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlJsPa6UwcM&feature=related

Also to be remembered; the files can be sent to 3D printers / routers/ tools...

5. dreamer

dreamer Soñadora

Damn Norwegiens just drive over english with a steam roller. awesome ;)

wow...Medusa. I have a nice mimento I stole from my indoctrination in Medusa - a tablet template. All I can remember about Medusa was that if you stood on your head and used the mouse backwards, you could actually use Medusa. ;)

6. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

:( I started with maps drawn freehand using projection af aerial photos, then went to mechanical pencils drafting electric car components. Drafix came along about then and I went to that medium. That was all a long time ago. Pretty much out of the game now.

7. Joe Petrich

Joe Petrich Designer

Another old Medusa head here too (pun intended). Central CPU with big honkin' disk platters, slowed or crashed every time the planning department decided to use the system, green screen CRTs. Ahhh the good old days...NOT! But we did build some nice patrol boats with (or was it in spite of) it.

8. Paul No Boat

I'd bet Magellan would have given his eye teeth for a good CAD program.

9. Asleep Helmsman

Asleep Helmsman Senior Member

“We have to put a stop to this technology.

Nothing will ever be the same, we have spent years learning our craft, lifetimes letting our amoretto age, so we could enjoy a sip at the end of a hard days work.

What will happen when all people everywhere, can afford to read, what will become of the families that have protected their trade secrets?

The priesthood will be destroyed.

Guttenberg must be stopped."

10. Joe Petrich

Joe Petrich Designer

...or perhaps a Magellan GPS...

11. dreamer

dreamer Soñadora

12. capt vimes

capt vimes Senior Member

gentlemen - we are one of the first generations to wittness this dramatic and fast change in technologie... next generations will grow up with all this tools, adopting to them as kids which have been brand new to us coming from the old paper-and-pen days...

i do believe that in the very near future paper and pen will not be used any more AT ALL - no matter if it is just a preliminary scetch or a full set of plans...
    a good and close friend of mine (architect) is even nowadays already doing his preliminarys on the computer only - using an art-pad and -pen...
    it has great advantages and to be able to send the scetches immediately by email is just one of it!
    sure - every now and then he draws something by hand on paper but that is done only to not unlearn/forget his skills he developed in earlier days... ;)

and now consider apples coming i-pad...
    how long do you think it will take some coders to come up with a drawing programm enabling you to show your customers scetches and ideas straight away on the screen? ;)

computers were not existing when i went to school... everything was written, drawn by hand...
    now all the students are sitting at university or school with their laptop typing away...
    the last time i have written a longer piece of text by hand apart from my signature and short notices was in the mid 90s i guess...
    heck - i cannot even write properly any more getting a cramp in my hand after a couple of minutes... :rolleyes:

face it - paper is dying if not gone already... :p

13. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

You dont know what you have lost till its gone.

14. Asleep Helmsman

Asleep Helmsman Senior Member

Yes like those monks spending lifetimes writing on parchment.

15. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

frank

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.